Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#92768 - 02/26/13 12:25 PM Re: I don't understand the need to pair? [Re: JonSisk]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
In my market the thing that upset me more than 48FPS being fairly widely available was the limited (once single theater!!!) availability of ATMOS -- Hobbit with its caves and rain and such is tailor made to the immersive multichannel sound of ATMOS...

http://www.hfrmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

It would be quite an accomplishment for someone to work out the "psycho-acostics" of using a sound bar (like the OSB-1) to recreate the spatial cues of ATMOS which has the capability to encode for 64 discrete speaker locations -- http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/cinema/dolby-atmos-creators.html

#93579 - 10/14/13 12:18 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
flyntm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Plano, TX
I installed my new OSB-1 this weekend and I'm very pleased, but probably for a different reason than most Outlaws. I no longer claim to be an audiophile because my hearing is missing a few frequencies. It's not bad enough for hearing aids but I do need to turn the TV up to hear the dialog clearly. My wife then complains that it's too loud. Anyway, the OSB-1 has resolved the problem. When I'm watching TV the OSB-1 SP mode (speech) raises the dialog level without the background noise being increased. Putting it in the 3 channel mode seems to help too. I can hear clearly and my wife is not asking, "can we turn it down?" Marriage saved! For music, the other modes sound pretty darn good too! Great product.

#93580 - 10/14/13 02:58 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for your comments.

For those that might be interested in how it works, the SP (speech circuit) is actually a combination of a gentile compressor paired with a three dB boost in the critical voice frequencies.

To calibrate this feature we actually listened to two shows produced by Aaron Sorkin: The West Wing and The Newsroom. Both shows are characterized by quick dialog and in the case of the West Wing-overlapping dialog, which can create challenges in delivering crystal clear intelligibility. The speech circuit dramatically improves this issue. In addition, for late night listening, the circuit is invaluable.

Peter

#93581 - 10/14/13 07:23 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I have pretty "normal" hearing for a guy my age (not yet 50...) and I wonder what kind of morons do the sound mix for some shows / movies -- I like the ambient sounds of street scenes, busy offices / industrial sites as much as anybody but when the DIALOGUE matters and you have to boost your output 10 db or more to make it intelligible that becomes a real negative...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM