Separate amplification can be an excellent upgrade choice, and many people who go to separates start out by buying an amp to use with an existing receiver (did it myself some years ago, with good results). With only one HDMI source currently, you aren't loosing anything with your present arrangement (HDMI video straight to the TV, digital audio to the receiver). I've got an HDMI FAQ in my sig that offers a pretty decent overview of the complexities of HDMI, but basically the only cases where HDMI support in the receiver or processor offers something extra is with HD-DVD or Blu-ray players - and even then, there are a couple good alternatives. If you are interested in having HDMI in your processor, you might consider getting an amp now and keeping the AVR-3300 for another year or year and a half until companies like Outlaw have a chance to incorporate HDMI v1.3 into their product line-ups. On the other hand, if you don't anticipate adopting either HD format, the DVI switching in the 990 and 970 gives you video switching that will work just fine with HDMI sources and displays.

I haven't heard any of the Vienna Acoustics speakers, but I've heard good things about them from folks who have them. I have heard an Outlaw sub (the LFM-1, not the LFM-2) and have found it to integrate very nicely with my Paradigm Studio 60's for both music and movies. I'm also quite fond of my Model 990.

I hope my comments are of some help. Oh, and welcome to the forum!