I can't speak to your particular speakers but I know a couple of things about mine. First, they are fairly old and replacement drivers are simply impossible to get. What I have had to do is buy a couple of pairs for the drivers only - and gut them. Secondly, the crossovers are four bandpass (ie. four-way: woofer, mid, tweeter, treble tweeter) and the individual components are spec'd to extremely tight tolerances. It is very difficult for even the repair shop that I use to match them up - and they usually can't get an exact match.

Having said that, I have never heard or noticed a difference in the end result.

So... with respect to your speakers here's my guess(es).

If someone were to replace the components with exact "value" matches, and even if they were much higher quality components, I doubt very much that there would be any sonic difference. Anyone claiming such is probably a great buyer of exotic cables! The only improvement with better quality components would be reliability / longer life - again in my opinion.

However, if someone were aware of an inherent design flaw or limitation in the crossover circuit, and came up with a design that improved upon the existing one, then yes they could very well achieve a different sound - and perhaps much different. Would it be better? Don't know. But my gut feeling is that most OEMs pretty much get it right, and unless it's them that's coming up with the new and improved version, then go with the OEM's specs.

Then again, this is a hobby (at lest to some) and just about any changes that you made, or had made, would be undoable if need be.

And having said all of that, there are some who swear by the practice of ripping out the passive crossovers and going to an active design. Not something I know anything about but you could check out the S&V Forums where the subject has come up on a number of occasions. Your speakers might make a good candidate for such a radical (complex, expensive) change.

Jeff Mackwood