Gonk wrote:

components such as speaker surrounds will deteriorate some over time, for example, which would have an effect on the sound.

Absolutely true. I have some Kef 107's. They were, of course,used. The surrounds had deteriorated. The store from which I bought installed new surrounds and had been doing it for years. A friend who has 107s had the same situation. His deteriorated and he noticed that they sounded terrible.

That store has other KEF models, requiring surrounds and they seem to be a major repairer of older KEFs. So at least for older KEFs figure that 100% of the woofers will require surround re-do.

I bought a pair on ebay, which I was able to inspect and audition prior to taking possession. It was close enought to go there (lucky !!!!). I listened and they sounded great. Also looked at and felt the woofers and surrounds.

If someone has KEFs needing repair, send me a PM and I'll providecontact info. The tech dept at that store did a great job.

Now my CROWN ES224 woofers (30 yrs old) seem perfect, both visually and sonically. So I guess the best thing is to check them yourself.

HTH
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3