I suspect that among the VAST majority of consumers the "value" of "Made in the USA" is almost nil , at least in terms of what they will actually open their wallets to support.

The other side of the coin is that going back to the first Outlaw products made overseas there were real differences in the ability to find firms in the US with the willingness to participate in the design and construction of the kinds of products that Outlaw wanted to offer. The lead Outlaw, Peter T, has been quoted as saying so much and other CE firms have expressed a similar set of frustrations when they wanted to scale up US based production too...

Personally I believe that some things may have changed with regard to utilizing US based design team(s) and then getting final assembly done in the US. Perhaps more thought should be given to breaking down the various analogue output stages / phono inputs from the more "specification oriented" DACs, DSP/room correction, format decoding, digital video features. I might be way off base but my gut tells me that some of those things could be done by "board level" build contracts which ought to isolate Outlaw from any one firm killing the project. Of course the downside is that a mindset of such a de-integrated manufacturing process is that some kind of "assembly line test / validation" process (including perhaps specialized test equipment...) would have be developed and each subcontractor would have to adhere to high standards to ensure all the boards can be successfully assembled into working units at the final production step. That likely will add cost / complexity. The upside is that construction of each sub-assembly can happen more quickly and the odds of the entire project seeing the light of day would increase. It is even conceivable that some US based firms might be interested in the board level work, in contrast to being uninterested in "the whole enchilada". The fact is the changing landscape of DOD contracts has created a fairly decent boom in firms that have designed and built a wide range of drones / remote sensing equipment to give the US a technological edge in Iraq and Afghanistan, The wind-down of those efforts may be causing the smarter firms to look for other avenues to keep their workforce productive. There very well may be an opportunity to find firms that can do better / higher level work on a time table that is not possible with SE Asian manufacturers. (of course if the guys at the top of those firms have no desire to go from DOD level markup sin the 5 figures per board to the CE world were board level margins typically are measured in cents then the blame for more folks ending up on unemployment rolls falls to the their bosses not any overseas competition...)

Finally I think that too many folks forget that not too long ago Japan was a major hub of actual CE manufacturing. The long downturn in the Japanese economy almost certainly has created opportunities to revive some of the once mighty productivity of Japan. The culture of Japan's business has been shaped by being a very long term ally of the US; its workforce is generally regarded as not just technically proficient but also motivated to bring democratic participation to the factory floor in positive ways. Japanese workers as well Japanese business leaders and political / thought leaders have been known to all behave in much more collaborative manner than those in countries were human rights abuses were central to the rise of political leaders. In short I would value a "Made in Japan" designation nearly as highly as something made domestically -- in fine optics Japan's precision is largely seen as unrivaled, so to are the CE offerings from the past...