Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9024 - 03/22/06 08:56 PM New to the Saloon, intro and a question
Barnaby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I guess this is as good a way to introduce myself as any…

I have been rapidly redoing my home entertainment system lately. I have replaced the old display with a 42" Panasonic ED plasma, my old speaker system with a full compliment of Focal Chorus speakers (5.1) and most importantly the receiver was upgraded to a new Outlaw 1070.

I now find myself wanting to finish the upgrade by replacing the source components. Specifically, replace the DVD player and CD player and then add a DVR/HDD. I haven't really thought about my budget too much, but I suppose it should be in keeping with what I already have. Any suggestions for these components or places where I can do more investigation?

My priorities are movies, followed way back by music.

Thanks
Tim

#9025 - 03/23/06 08:19 AM Re: New to the Saloon, intro and a question
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Why not get a midline universal player to handle all your disc formats? Denon, Marantz, Yamaha etc. make decent units in the $500+ level. Don't know a great deal about DVR's so I won't touch that. You may want to wait out the HD format debate before dropping serious coin on a unit now if HT is your main thing.

#9026 - 03/23/06 09:20 AM Re: New to the Saloon, intro and a question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Your ED display won't support higher than 480p resolution, so the upscaling players aren't going to be much benefit to you - you just need a good progressive scan player. Do you care about DVD-Audio and SACD? If not, then you can look at some quite good DVD players (which could double as CD transports) for just a couple hundred dollars. Maybe the Denon DVD-1720 or the Panasonic DVD-S77 (or even the Oppo, if your display has a DVI or HDMI input - it's main benefit is upscaling to HD resolutions, but you could set the DVI output to 480p for your plasma). Any of those would set you back around $200 or less.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 185 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM