For what it's worth, I received a pair of Axiom M22s ($460) a few days back. The audio stores around here suck, but I did listen to the bookshelf B&W DM602 S3 ($600 MRSP) and the floor standing 2 and 1/2 way DM603 S3 ($1000 MRSP) played through a Rotel RX-1052 amp.

The DM602s were pretty harsh, and sounded downright nasty and muddled on highs such as the Dixie Chicks beating out "Wide Open Spaces". The 2 and 1/2 way DM603s were warmer, and much less forward -- female vocals didn't overwhelm the instruments so much. Both sounded identical with Teleman's trumpet concerto in D. And both sounded awful with an old Queen recording. I might have been tempted by the DM603s.

I have also casually listened to Polks driven by Denon receivers at Tweeter in their acoustic rooms - sounds dead to my ears.

I decided to try the Axiom M22, played at home with my old two-channel NAD 701 receiver. It looked tome that the M22s were 2 and 1/2 way, and since I prefered the sound of the 2 and 1/2 way DM603s I went with the M22s. To me, the Axioms sound much better than the DM601 in that the midrange/highs are not harsh and offensive at high volume. Snare drums sound much better defined with the Axioms than with either B&W speaker. I think they are comaparble to the DM603, although the Axioms still a still slightly more forward wth a bright female vocal at high volume.

I think I will stick with the M22 - to my ear, the DM603s are not worth twice the price of the M22, I'll be less upset if my two little children do something untoward with the less expensive Axioms, and the WAF is higher for bookshelf M22 than the free standing DM603. Of course, the B&Ws might sound better with my 10-year old NAD amp in my living room compared to a modern rotel amp in a store, but I doubt it somehow.

Now all I need is an amp (I know, I know, try an Outlaw...).