Originally Posted By: Logan Robertson
Fox uses Trinnov's very expensive huge computers. That hardly says anything about what Trinnov eq can do when shrinked into what can be used in an Outlaw reciever which is less.
It says a lot, because the approach to room correction doesn't channel from the Trinnov pro models to consumer implementation, just the resolution of the correction.
The additional channels of 7.1 are often matrixed from the finished 5.1 material.
Which of the 7.1 titles I listed do you think were first mixed in 5.1 and then matrixed to 7.1? Why would the studios not mix to 7.1 for 7.1 releases?
I am not trying to say neo x is terrible. It is just not designed with as much realism in mind.
And you know this how? Have you compared DSX to Neo:X?
We know the distance of a sound source and or walls or boundaries by the timing of the original content (straight path to our ears) and the first reflection point (first reflection to reach us from the ground, wall, or ceiling). This timing is very possible to manipulate in either direction with DSX and the additional speakers.. Can you tell me why it wouldn't be possible?
Because there will be 6 first reflections for each speaker (6 boundries in a room). Unlike Trinnov, which uses a multi-capsule mic to triangulate direction, Audyssey uses a single mic, so there's no way for it to tell direction, which means there's no way for it to know which of the 6 first reflections is from the side wall, making it impossible to replace the room's lateral reflections with ones generated by Audyssey. BTW, I've spoken to Chris, and he's never claimed that Audyssey can figure out the size of the room, only the distance to the speakers.
It actually does surprise me that DSX can read what type of reflection to reproduce from the original content but it has proven to be effective and work "most" of the time.
Audyssey can't tell what's in the content. Ask Chris if you don't believe me.
About PLIIz. Fine. Everybody I heard from lied and there will never a video game with PLIIz encoding.
PLIIz can do matrix encoding, but not discrete (like you claimed). Again, no need to take my word for it, e-mail Dolby and ask them if PLIIz can do discrete encoding.
I just read how you would like to know how to target certain frequencies. This is exactly what eq's are best for and what I recommend them most for.
OK, so much for treatments being "superior" to EQ.