Originally Posted By: Logan Robertson
If one has Audyssey xt32 and proper speaker placement Trinnov would have very little added benefit to your system.
There would be little added benefit by cascading two room correction systems. So if one has Trinnov, then there wouldn't be any need whatsoever for Audyssey. As evidenced by your comment above, you are again equating Trinnov with speaker remapping, when its primary function is room correction.
You're better off installing bass treatments or diffusers in your room.
You'd be better off doing that irrespective of room correction.
Only Toy Story 3 is true 7.1 the last time I checked.
Toy Story 3 was the first theatrical 7.1 mix, but not the "only". Other 7.1 theatrical mixes include: Step Up 3D, Megamind, Tangled, Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Tron: Legacy, Little Fockers, Gulliver's Travels, Gnomeo & Juliet, Mars Needs Moms, Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Kung Fu Panda 2, Super 8, Cars 2, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Captain America: The First Avenger, Real Steel, Three Musketeers, Lion King (3D release), Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, Puss in Boots, War Horse.
Would you really be so adamant about only listening to it in its original 5.1 format.
I've been running a 7.1 system since the early 1990s, several years before discrete 5.1 soundtracks became available to us consumers. So I have no problem scaling all source material, whether 2-channel or 5.1-channel, to a 7.1-speaker layout. You're confusing what I said about DSX with some purist notion of listening to discrete channels using the same number of speakers. I have no problem playing back a 7.1 soundtrack over 11 speakers by extracting content from the soundtrack to feed the additional speakers, what I do mind is adding reverb and early reflection to the soundtrack that where never there originally. And that's what DSX does. By comparison, DTS Neo:X processing supports 11 speakers using extraction only, with nothing generated and added to the soundtrack. Do you understand the difference?
DSX was created by professors and a couple students at USC. It isn't focused around adding unnecessary channels. These people study phycoacoustics and sound at a prestigious college in a state of the art sound room. They noticed what was lacking in our traditional systems and they are trying to benefit our listening experience by adding what sound mixers can't due to the sound mixer's restraints not ours.
DSX adds delayed early reflections to give the impression of being in a larger space. There is nothing to stop sound mixers from doing the same. There is a reason they don't do that. If they are mixing a Tarzan movie, they wan't you to feel like you're in the jungle. They don't want to give the impression of listening to jungle sounds in a large room. So it's not like the can't do it due to "restraints". They don't do it because they don't want to add a layer of artifiality (imposing the sound of a large room on everything in the soundtrack, including outdoor scenes).
From everything I've read PLIIz is capable of being encoded onto a bluray or bluray game which introduces discrete height channel material. We only experience the matrixed PLIIz because Dolby hasn't created any games that are encoded with PLIIz technology.
You're confusing matrix encoding with discrete channels.