If one has Audyssey xt32 and proper speaker placement Trinnov would have very little added benefit to your system. You're better off installing bass treatments or diffusers in your room. I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer to have Trinnov turned on if it was available to me. I'm saying I could wait 5 more years for Trinnov because I'll be perfectly happy with Audyssey and the benefits of Trinnov are not nearly important to me as the benefits of of a fully capable DSX system. Until Trinnov can pan the sound around me using 3D mapping moving a sound from any of the speakers to the other it is unnecessary for me (not needed but wouldn't hurt to have).
I understand there are many purists out there but there are only a couple directors that I will give the respect of listening to there movies first in the original content. If you have a 7.1 system that is not a discrete playback system either. Only Toy Story 3 is true 7.1 the last time I checked. Every other 7.1 Bluray have the additional channel matrixed themselves. What about for movies that are meant to be fun.. Paranormal or other horror flicks or just video games. Would you really be so adamant about only listening to it in its original 5.1 format. Some movies I agree are a real piece of art and you should listen to them in original format first (Martin Scorsese or James Cameron's as an example) but have some fun in life and add a little. I never understood the whole purist thing because only a handful of material deserves to be listened to in its original format 5.1. Should we not have as much fun tweaking our listening experience and listening room because some people believe the directors of these movies would object. DSX was created by professors and a couple students at USC. It isn't focused around adding unnecessary channels. These people study phycoacoustics and sound at a prestigious college in a state of the art sound room. They noticed what was lacking in our traditional systems and they are trying to benefit our listening experience by adding what sound mixers can't due to the sound mixer's restraints not ours.
From everything I've read PLIIz is capable of being encoded onto a bluray or bluray game which introduces discrete height channel material. We only experience the matrixed PLIIz because Dolby hasn't created any games that are encoded with PLIIz technology.