Hi Sdurani. I was aware it did some EQ work but from what I hear it is only the low frequencies. And low frequencies are supposed to be excellent with Audyssey. Audyssey also can cover the entire audio spectrum which may be necessary in untreated rooms. I've seen the Trinnov mic and have read about the process it uses to 3d remap the speakers. All I was saying is if your speakers are placed at the appropriate heights and angles then Trinnov is an unnecessary asset and/or expense. It can easily create more problems for your other listeners as the system can only remap for the one listening location. It changes the phase and signal in such a way that it negatively affects the rest of the listeners from what I read. Multiple locations can not be calculated for because of this which which makes sense. However there are reasons that Trinnov is necessary or beneficial I should say. I will recommend it to my parents as they are moving into a house with an array of floor standing speakers and ceiling speakers. I don't believe it will sound great to have your L/R speakers play at ear level while having your center channel above your tv and fireplace on the ceiling. This is the only situation I believe you really need to have the Trinnov system. There are a lot of people who can't have the recommended speaker placements due to their room. I'm not one of those people though as I'm in a rectangular room that allows for correct heights and angles of the speakers so I'll want my money to go towards features that benefit me more.
I'm also aware that the PLIIz is only the height channels but what Xenonman was talking about are the DSX channels. I knew what he meant so I didn't feel the need to correct him but you're right. I don't think PLIIz will really benefit anyone anyways unless Dolby comes out with video games that are programmed with that discrete channel which is likely to happen way sooner than movies. I hear DSX is the way to go regardless with heights because PLIIz is too tame with these channels not allowing much material to play with the heights in fear of playing content not meant to be played above you. Audyssey DSX is more willing to take the chance that unintentional material can be sent to the height speakers so that they can play more material giving the channels a much more significant purpose and effect. And from what I hear it succeeds quite well. Again we don't even know if DSX will be offered on any Outlaw processor but considering the 978 will run Audyssey XT32 and have PLIIz decoding according to the spec sheet I will assume it also has the DSX decoding which is why 11 channels is even up for debate.