Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Since it was being driven by the AVR the passive sub probably received little of the 180 watts since that would be controlled by the volume knob. The big advantage of the powered sub it that its amp can put out all of its power even at low volumes if need be based only on the content and the signal driving it. Most reciever spec out their power ratings using only a two channels driven condition and when they are really taxed they hit the wall and can't drive bass speakers hard. Even if the receiver spec says 90 X 7 it may be smokin rope.

This seems right, especially the last part about reciever specs. I am old school and remember the post digital receivers from the 70s that would drive huge speakers with large subwoofers, mid range drivers and complicated tweeter arrangements with zero issues. The modern day receivers seem to have a huge fudge factor as to how much useable power they really have. Even tiny packaged systems with itty bitty speaker wires and tiny tinny speakers make outrageous output claims.

I know I could have spent a lot more money on a better receiver, but actually putting the powered sub in the system solved my issues so...