Originally Posted By: XenonMan
What type of amp were you driving the in ceiling sub with? I have the LFM-1EX in my HT which is in a living room which opens at the top to the family room and kitchen. Total volume is about 13000 cubic feet and the sub has to be throttled or it rattle stuff off the walls.

To be more clear, I was attempting to drive the passive sub with my denon avr-1912. It wasn't working at all, either underpowering it at low volume or overpowering it at increased volume. It just plain sucked at any volume. I guess I probably could have purchased a seperate amp to drive the sub, but I didnt' for several reasons. First, at high volume the sub was bottoming out and I couldnt' see that situation improving with more power. Second, since the passive sub has the left and right channels connected to it, powering the sub would also power the right and left channel, and I again couldn't see this as a solution. As for now, purchasing the compact subwoofer has solved all of my system issues. I can still switch back to the passsive subwoofer whenever I want by just changing settings on my amp, but as of now I cannot see any reason to do so for now or in the future.

I can understand your need to turn down your sub. I have been tinkering with my 'little" compact sub and have settled on total volume for now. With the increase power and size of the EX, I think the amount of bass generated by the EX at full throttle would run me out of my living room.