Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#85864 - 01/31/11 04:45 PM Re: Surge Protector/LineConditioner [Re: countryboy]
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harper, Kansas
I just tried to get ABT to price match the APC H15BLK from another retailer but they told me that since it was a 2-3 year old model they haven't carried it since 2008.

Is it actually considered a discontinued model even though it's still listed on their website? Why haven't they released a newer model to compete against newer competitor's models?

#85866 - 01/31/11 06:09 PM Re: Surge Protector/LineConditioner [Re: countryboy]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Because what it does is as good as it gets.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85867 - 01/31/11 06:10 PM Re: Surge Protector/LineConditioner [Re: countryboy]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
From looking at APC's site, I suspect the S15 and S10 were replaced with the J15 and J10 at some point. The folks still selling S15's and S10's could be selling leftover stock from the final production run or refurbs.

#85871 - 01/31/11 06:39 PM Re: Surge Protector/LineConditioner [Re: gonk]
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harper, Kansas
Well I went ahead and asked APC that same question and here's their response:

"hi

i checked with the product manager for this product and i can report the following to you:

The H Type is definitely not being discontinued at this time.

It is a couple years old, but it still outperforms anything we've seen from the competition.

If you look at APC's competition, at the price point of an H Type, you generally get surge protection and EMI/RFI filtering. Nothing more. We offer far greater value as we include surge, EMI/RFI filtering, and Automatic Voltage Regulation. That was true when we introduced the product and is still true today.

In terms of performance, our H15BLK is backed up by a $750,000 Equipment Protection Policy so you can be sure that we stand behind its performance.

Thanks"

Sounds like the 2-year old H15 is still relevant today good deal!

Edited by countryboy (01/31/11 08:58 PM)

#87131 - 06/11/11 05:13 PM Re: Surge Protector/LineConditioner [Re: countryboy]
Tom Shifrin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Anybody have experience using a UPS with sine wave output on their audio system? I've been looking at the Cyberpower CP1000PFCLCD or the Tripplite SMART500RT1U. Both advertise real sine wave output, both protect against sag and surge; sounds like either would do. This is for a smallish audio only system, a cd player, tube pre-amp, and a 150 watt per channel amp. Has anybody heard what these might do for this application?
The H15 discussed above looks great, and the Amazon price is nice, but the UPS seems to add some functionality at a lower price. That might be good, if the sound is improved over just a standard surge protector.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Tom

#87274 - 06/30/11 04:25 PM Re: Surge Protector/LineConditioner [Re: countryboy]
Kele Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Recently, and with an APC power strip with coax (cable antenna) in/out, I had a eureka moment. For whatever reason, I've always conveyed a buzz through the speakers with this certain amp (not an Outlaw). The ground loop type buzz occurs only when the Cable service is connected to the TV in which the stereo is also connected. Two houses in two states had the same ground buzz problem and the cable company(s) can't fix it. It's my big amp not shunting this noise. Long ago I found a certain 75 > 300 ohm adapter that contained a resister inside that stopped the buzz. I had the 75 > 300 > 75 ohm adapter(s) in the cable co. box outside the house for best affect. One day I observed my stereo was buzzing and went out to the box... my adapter rig was missing! I went to the Shack and got another but it didn't work... I found the cable company had come to the house, saw my adapter in the chain and took it off. Fortunatly, I was able to get the cable tech to bring it back to me, and that's when I discovered the special nature of the one adapter with a built-in resister. I actually havn't found another like it... until now.

Normally, I keep the signal path a short / clean as possible, but I tried the new APC power strip's coax in/out in the cable TV chain and it stops the buzz even more cleanly than my 300 ohm adapter. Plus I don't have to go from 75 to 300 ohm and back so the TV picture may look better, but that might just be imagining. Apparently, there is a simular resistor inside the APC (eleven outlet) power strip coax section. I have a few different model APC power strips. The white one labeled "Professional" does have the best outlet feel. I use one with the highest joules rating at the power amp and another (previously described) around the TV/AV gear. All have never failed and the Pro one is 14 years old, lights still don't flicker like other brands I've had.

My brother has a PS Audio power strip/line conditioner that is the most substantial block of aluminum I've ever touched. That is one sexy power strip. If $ wern't a factor, I'd be having one of those... as long as it stops the buzz.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM