#86444 - 03/10/11 10:14 AM Re: ICBM again? [Re: SYLEX]
SYLEX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: France
Some suggestions :
- Filters from 30 to 100 (120 like on V1 ?) Hz
- Adjustable Slope
- LFE Level Button that can stop easily and precisely at 0 dB
- Sub Level from -Infinite to 0 (not from o to O)

Some questions :
- Is there a remote (No i suppose) ?
- Why is there LFE Input and EXT-Sub L/R Input ?
- Is there an external alimentation ? Or if it is an internal one, could it be used in 110 and 220 Volts ?

Thank's for all ! smile

Edited by SYLEX (03/10/11 10:16 AM)

#86445 - 03/10/11 10:57 AM Re: ICBM again? [Re: SYLEX]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: SYLEX
- Is there a remote (No i suppose) ?

I think the answer is "no" - there's no IR sensor window on the front panel.

The Ext. Sub inputs were not included on the original ICBM, so we can't rely on that manual to predict what they are intending there. It seems likely that they are trying to support source equipment that offers discrete left and right subwoofer signals. If that's the case, I suspect the Ext. Sub inputs will be rarely used - most users will go to the LFE input.

- Is there an external alimentation ? Or if it is an internal one, could it be used in 110 and 220 Volts ?

The power supply is internal (the power cord connection is an IEC style, which means it's designed for a cord to go straight to the wall). It's hard to make out the silk screened text above the power connection, but it may say "100V-240V". If it does, that suggests the power supply might be compatible with both US (120V 60Hz) and European (220V 50Hz) power. We'll have to wait for more information to emerge to be certain, though.

#86457 - 03/11/11 04:25 AM Re: ICBM again? [Re: gonk]
SYLEX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank's. wink

I've made the same suppositions. But i rather have an "official" response. Wait and see.

#86458 - 03/11/11 07:38 AM Re: ICBM again? [Re: SYLEX]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Good plan. The manual will confirm it for us when it's ready.

#86475 - 03/12/11 09:04 PM Re: ICBM again? [Re: SYLEX]
srrndhound Offline
Gunslinger

Let's say you have an AV processor with internal bass management for digital sources, but for analog multichannel it uses a "bypass" input.

Or let's say you have an AVR with no means to drive the amplifier inputs directly, so no means to patch the ICBM2 between the pre-outs and amp inputs.

In either case, the ICBM2 would be situated up front, feeding the Mch analog input. That input is most likely limited to one subwoofer channel. That would prevent its volume control from controlling the main and ULF outputs created by the ICBM2.

To solve that, the Ext Sub input allows the processor's subwoofer output to feed the sub crossover inside the ICBM2. This makes the Main/ULF sub crossover feature available for both the analog bypass path as well as processor's internal subwoofer signal created by digital bass management.

Make sense?

Edited by srrndhound (03/12/11 09:10 PM)

#86505 - 03/14/11 03:28 PM Re: ICBM again? [Re: srrndhound]
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

First off: how did I miss this initial announcement?

Secondly: woo hoo! It's NOT Made in China. This moves it to my "never in your life" to "buy" list!

Thirdly: love that it's 9.1 - since the ICBM-1 was lacking in channels - at least for my needs today. And

Finally: I somewhat disagree with Gonk's first post about its applicability. In my case it has nothing to do with legacy systems but rather with dealing with a multiple sub set-up that cannot be bass-managed the way I want using my Onkyo 886's capabilities alone. I want three of my powered subs to handle the "bass managed" signals from the "7" channels (which is also routed through an SMS-1), while a separate sub is dedicated to LFE alone. I can do it (almost) with the ICBM-1, however because it's only a 6.1 system, I currently have to use the Onkyo for the two Rear Surr channels. The ICBM-2 cures that inadequacy.

So Peter tell me please: when can you ship me one to a US address?

Jeff Mackwood

ps. Did I mention how happy I am that it's NOT Made in China!

#86510 - 03/14/11 06:41 PM Re: ICBM again? [Re: Jeff Mackwood]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Well Jeff,

We moved production to Taiwan because we knew we would be short one customer if we built it in China. This internally was known as the "Mackwood" solution.grin

By the way it is not 9.1 but 9.2. We actually construct "stereo" bass using additive signals from 50% combined center channel and then right channel, right surround channel and right back surround channel. The same goes for the left channels.This feature is carried over from the original ICBM and was initially suggested by engineers at Dolby, who consulted in that first design.

#86511 - 03/14/11 07:45 PM Re: ICBM again? [Re: Jeff Mackwood]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Jeff Mackwood
Finally: I somewhat disagree with Gonk's first post about its applicability. In my case it has nothing to do with legacy systems but rather with dealing with a multiple sub set-up that cannot be bass-managed the way I want using my Onkyo 886's capabilities alone.

This is a very good point. The most immediately obvious application is probably for legacy systems, but the flexibility inherent in the array of inputs (two separate multichannel) and options for bass management as well as volume control do open the door for a lot of pretty fun scenarios beyond "just" legacy hardware.

#86516 - 03/14/11 09:31 PM Re: ICBM again? [Re: PeterT]
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: PeterT
Well Jeff,

We moved production to Taiwan because we knew we would be short one customer if we built it in China. This internally was known as the "Mackwood" solution.grin

By the way it is not 9.1 but 9.2. We actually construct "stereo" bass using additive signals from 50% combined center channel and then right channel, right surround channel and right back surround channel. The same goes for the left channels.This feature is carried over from the original ICBM and was initially suggested by engineers at Dolby, who consulted in that first design.

Peter,

You just know that I relish any opportunity to set Corporate America back on the right track! smile

You also know that I'm good to my word; that I will support companies who's products are NOT Made in China. Put me down for a unit, price unseen. Seriously.

And thanks for the clarification about the unit's functionality. While not something that I currently need, it seems like a great feature that others might want.

Jeff

#86527 - 03/16/11 05:18 AM Re: ICBM again? [Re: Jeff Mackwood]
SYLEX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Jeff Mackwood
Finally: I somewhat disagree with Gonk's first post about its applicability. In my case it has nothing to do with legacy systems
+1

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM