Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#86221 - 02/28/11 01:17 PM Re: Is the Outlaw 990 Worth Buying Still? [Re: MichaelC]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: MichaelC
I would be using the analog out from my Oppo BDP-83 for listening to SACD's. How would you rate the sound quality playing SACD's under this scenario?

I would rate it as extremely good. The BDP-83 packs a heck of a punch for the price - and even beyond the price. See my setup guide for tips to optimize the combination of Model 990 and BDP-83.

Originally Posted By: MichaelC
Also, should I run the HDMI cable directly from my blu-ray player to my television? I was also thinking about running an optical cable from my cable box to the 990, and an HDMI to the television for the video. Is this an ideal set-up? Thank you!

You can do one of two things. You can run HDMI straight from each source (cable box and Blu-ray player) to the TV, or you can get three HDMI-to-DVI adapters, run HDMI from both sources to the Model 990, and run a single cable from the 990 to the TV. The benefit of the second option is automatic switching between the two. Picture quality should be the same either way. Also, you are right to run optical from the cable box to the 990.

#86222 - 02/28/11 01:25 PM Re: Is the Outlaw 990 Worth Buying Still? [Re: gonk]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
This seems to be the right thread for this, but I have noticed a very unexpected benefit since replacing my Outlaw 1050 with a 990, the video quality has improved slightly but noticeably. In my old configuration I ran component outputs from my DVD player and SA-8300HD DVR directly to my HDTV. Now I run them into the 990 and from there to the TV. I am using the same video interconnects into the same input into the HDTV that the SA-8300HD was on before.

I am not sure I can explain why. I have two guesses:
1) That this may just be the result of re-seating the RCA connectors
2) That because the 990 converts other signals to component, that perhaps it modifies component input in some minor manner.

In either case, I am not arguing with the result.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#86229 - 02/28/11 08:47 PM Re: Is the Outlaw 990 Worth Buying Still? [Re: 73Bruin]
audionirvana Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Iowa
I have had the 990 for 4 years and with the BDP-83SE since it came out a couple of years ago. I have also considered the Emotiva processor but as you say, too many issues and bass management approach that is odd. I listen to a lot of hi-res surround in all formats, especially bluray now, lots of wonderful concerts are available.I was concerned about room EQ as well but made a significant improvement to my room with room treatments on the walls. I wish I had done it sooner. If your situation allows for putting treatments on the walls, I think you will be happy with the results. Basic treatments are simple (Google it) and you can refine further as you see fit. Much can even be done with homemeade treatments. Even if a processor has good room EQ, I feel now that room treatment is a must for the best sound. It is often overlooked or not possible(WAF)for many. You'll be amazed at the improvement controlling room reflections can have, improvements that cannot be had with EQ'ing. Have fun.

#86622 - 03/25/11 08:58 PM Re: Is the Outlaw 990 Worth Buying Still? [Re: audionirvana]
petew Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
I bought a used 990 less than a year ago. Highly recommended. I am using an Oppo BDP-83 into the 7.1 analog inputs and a sonos box to toslink. Replaced a ten year old Rotel prepro and the sound quality improvement was significant.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM