Originally Posted By: XenonMan
I am starting to think that Gonk has more disc players than I have CDs

I do have a few around the house right now. Both the DV-980H and BDP-83SE are in the two-channel system. There's the BDP-95 in the surround system along with an old Panasonic DMR-E80 DVD recorder. The bedroom has a BDP-80, and I've got a couple spare players in a closet (DV-983H, OPDV971H, and a Panasonic DVD-A310 from 1998). I've also got a Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player, but it's on loan to a co-worker.
Originally Posted By: casey01
When it comes to changes from their previous models, primarily the BDP83, it would seem, among other things, in the BDP 93 & 95, Oppo has dispensed with the ABT video processing and moved over to what seems to be the latest and greatest "Q Video" processing system which is also now installed in the new, just recently introduced Onkyo entry level AVRs.

Up until now, I honestly, had never heard of this company before, however, I would be interested in getting your take on this new video processing which seems to be making quite a substantial breakthrough in the A/V community.

I talk about this some in my BDP-93 review. Marvell has been around for a while, actually, and they've established a pretty solid reputation. Like ABT, Marvell has several different tiers of processor offerings. The chip being used by the BDP-93 and BDP-95 is the latest to use their Qdeo video processing software.

The main reason that OPPO looked for an alternative to the ABT2010 or ABT2015 is the introduction of new streaming video services, which was made possible by the new System-on-Chip (a customized version of Mediatek's latest chip). ABT's processing was developed primarily for sources like DVD and Blu-ray, and ABT felt that noise reduction in those cases was of limited value. The real-world performance of the DV-983H and BDP-83 support that idea. Streaming services like Netflix introduce much more compression than DVD and Blu-ray, which brings more compression artifacts and more practical need for noise reduction. Marvell's technology includes some very effective noise reduction tools. That's the main reason OPPO shifted suppliers for this generation. Both are very good products, but the Marvell can provide better results with streaming services while still providing comparable results with DVD and Blu-ray.