Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86090 - 02/18/11 11:44 PM 990 Configuration Options - Front Panel Only
legregory Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just bought a 990 and got it all connected. As it was used, I did a factory reset. Now the Tuner comes on okay - but nothing else. I cannot get the front menu to work to setup my system.

Do I have to use the OCD or can I just use front panel? I currently do not have any video devices connected to the 990 - only my audio from BluRay and DTV - and my LCD TV does not have any svideo inputs - and I would need to buy a custom adaptor cable to hook up composit - so I prefer to use front panel for setup.

I was able to bring an older and hook it up to the SVideo and the OCD works fine on the TV - but I can't get the 990 to go to anything other than tuner. I have BlueRay on Optical 1, DVR on Optical 2 and HD Sat on Optical 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by legregory (02/19/11 12:12 AM)

#86091 - 02/19/11 12:45 AM Re: 990 Configuration Options - Front Panel Only [Re: legregory]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You need to connect one of the analog monitor outputs (composite, s-video, or component video) to a display so you can access the on-screen display (OSD). Since s-video and composite aren't convenient, can you use component video? The setup menu is only accessible via the OSD, and cannot be accessed through the front panel. You need to get into this menu to configure your inputs. The optical connections need to be assigned to specific inputs using the menu, and after that you need to calibrate the system.

What Blu-ray player are you using? Depending on the player, it may be better to connect it to the 7.1 Direct multichannel analog input.

#86092 - 02/19/11 01:32 AM Re: 990 Configuration Options - Front Panel Only [Re: gonk]
legregory Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi Gonk - Grabbed an older TV with an S-Video input and got my speakers setup. Auto setup didn't work - claimed it couldn't find the speakers - but all of the audio signals were firing - maybe a bad mic?

Is there no way to do the setup with an external display?

Got the 990 to detect he audio source on my BlueRay (LG) and my DirecTV DVR and DirecTV HD receiver by resetting them while it was on. I figured it wasn't detecting the sources - so I connected my iPod to the CD input and it found it quick - so I reset all of my other sources and it worked.

7.1 direct from BlueRay - better than the optical?

#86093 - 02/19/11 11:29 AM Re: 990 Configuration Options - Front Panel Only [Re: legregory]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
7.1 direct from the BD is much better than optical.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#86094 - 02/19/11 12:19 PM Re: 990 Configuration Options - Front Panel Only [Re: legregory]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: legregory
Hi Gonk - Grabbed an older TV with an S-Video input and got my speakers setup. Auto setup didn't work - claimed it couldn't find the speakers - but all of the audio signals were firing - maybe a bad mic?
Do the internal test tones work? If they do and you are getting auto calibration errors, I would suggest lowering the crossover points to 40Hz or 60Hz and trying to adjust the height of the calibration mic so it isn't too obstructed by furniture. Also make sure the mic is securely connected to the front panel jack.

Is there no way to do the setup with an external display?

You must have a monitor connected to do the setup. The automatic setup is not required - you can do it manually with an SPL meter (either a Radio Shack meter or a meter app on an iPhone or Android phone) and the 990's internal test tones. The manual describes the process pretty nicely.

Got the 990 to detect he audio source on my BlueRay (LG) and my DirecTV DVR and DirecTV HD receiver by resetting them while it was on. I figured it wasn't detecting the sources - so I connected my iPod to the CD input and it found it quick - so I reset all of my other sources and it worked.

Have you gone through the input setup menus? You'll probably want to edit input names and possibly even change which source's digital connections are assigned to which inputs so it is more logical when selecting inputs.

7.1 direct from BlueRay - better than the optical?

Blu-ray offers several audio options that cannot be output via optical or coaxial. These include multichannel PCM (uncompressed audio), Dolby TrueHD (lossless compression), and DTS-HD Master Audio (also lossless compression). When playing multichannel PCM tracks, the player's optical and coaxial outputs will either output downmixed stereo PCM or a player-generated lossy Dolby Digital or DTS signal. The multichannel analog output gives you those lossless audio sources directly. As a result, multichannel analog output is typically preferred over optical or coaxial with Blu-rays. The only caveat is that the player's DAC's are now going to contribute to the overall sound - plus you have to have a player with multichannel analog outputs, which not all LG players offer.

You may still want to use your optical connection for DVD's and CD's, as even if your LG has a multichannel analog output it is doubtful that the player's DAC's are as good as the 990's. Since the optical output works fine for DVD and CD playback, you will get better overall sound quality from a digital connection to the 990.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM