Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86065 - 02/15/11 12:01 AM IR on 990 doesn't always work (not the remote)
robwas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spotswood, NJ
Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction, after years of flawless service I recently moved my 990 to a new house. Everything seemed ok but now I have issues where sometimes the remote doesn't do anything, the 990 simply doesn't respond to any commands. I know the obvious is batteries, etc but I changed them and I also have a 2nd remote, a logitech Harmony and when the problem occurs neither work, not even on/off works, then, magically it starts working again with both remotes. I even tried putting the remote inches from the sensor, tried with all the lights and blinds closed in the room and it made no difference. When the problem does occur I also tried the hard buttons on the unit itself and they DID work. I'm wondering if the IR sensor on the outlaw unit could be going bad or if this could possibly be software related. I currently have the most updated firmware on the unit.

I'm at a loss, I still love this receiver but with it acting so flaky I'm not sure what to do short of sending it to outlaw for repair (if they still repair the units)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

#86066 - 02/15/11 08:01 AM Re: IR on 990 doesn't always work (not the remote) [Re: robwas]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
They do still provide service for the Model 990, and it probably wouldn't hurt to get them in the loop on this since it may be a hardware fault.

When we hear about IR problems, some of the common culprits are plasma TV's and (rarely) fluorescent lights. I've also found that equipment that has a rear panel IR port (like the 990) doesn't behave well when something is plugged in to that port. Because of those two common causes, my questions would be does the 990 is in reasonably close proximity to a plasma TV and does it have anything plugged into the rear IR port?

#86070 - 02/15/11 01:28 PM Re: IR on 990 doesn't always work (not the remote) [Re: gonk]
robwas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spotswood, NJ
Well, I guess to start the 990 isn't near a plasma tv because I don't own any plasmas, I have a 55" Vizio LED based LCD on top of the cabinet housing the 990. As far as fluorescent lights, I do use a few CFL's in my house but the closest one would be in a lamp about 16' from the 990. As far as the rear panel IR ports nothing is plugged into them but I do have my power amps plugged into the dc trigger port which is next to them. Oddly enough I did have a different problem where one of the amps didn't come on from the trigger, however, the other one did and they're hooked inline to the same wire so not sure if it has any relation. Now that I realize the 990 has an IR port I was wondering if might make sense to go out and get an IR receiver and just try using that over the 990's internal IR sensor? Anyways, thanks for the ideas and I'll drop outlaw an email and see if they have suggestions since as you said it may be a hardware issue.

Rob

#86072 - 02/16/11 11:01 AM Re: IR on 990 doesn't always work (not the remote) [Re: robwas]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
It's puzzeling that one amp came on and the other didn't. Obviously the 990 is sending a signal, so the problem must be downstream. The second IR port should work, but make sure you have your configuration set to send a signal for the input your selecting. I don't believe an IR reciever is even necessary. I haven't had need of the second signal port, but as I understand it, it sends a signal whenever you select one of the inputs configured for that purpose.
Good Luck!
Let us know how you solved the problem.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM