I've been out of the market for a couple of years (I'm very happy with my Pioneer 5080) but even now I'd limit my search to plasma displays. I think they consistently produce the best picture. I have a couple of suggestions that you might consider regardless of which type of display you get. First, your viewing distance of 9 to 10 feet will make it very difficult to actually tell the difference between a 1080p and 720p display. The range of signals the display can accept may be a more important factor and a 720p display will cost less. Second, I'd have any new display calibrated by an ISF certified technician. These folks (get a tech from ISF's list) can get into the service menu of your new display to make the necessary adjustments so your display is accurately displaying colors and grey scale. The cost will be around $300 but it was really worth it. Enjoy your search for a new display!