The AV 7005 is a terrific product. It sounds great, and the platform itself is rock solid. (See reports on the SR 7005- the receiver version) It is also feature packed and extremely flexible. Please read the Guide and you will get a good explanation of everything it can do. This approach is very appealing to many users.

By contrast, when it appears, the 978 will be, a simpler product where the emphasis will be on audiophile performance. It will be most likely found in straightforward home theaters and two channel systems. It too, will appeal to many users.

Between these two there is no "better". It really depends on the priorities of each user. For me I could be happy with either one. On the other hand, my wife would prefer the 978 when it becomes available.

So, we have to disagree with our good friend Gonk’s opinion. In actuality we haven't really decided what we will do when the 978 appears. It could be that we will have two great products that appeal to different customer's priorities. Right now with the AV 7005 we know we have one great processor.

Peter