Originally Posted By: casey01
I think in the case of Oppo though, not to get too philosophical here, but I remember the words of an article written several years ago by the late great writer in the former Stereo Review, Julian Hirsch, who said and I paraphrase, "any company with half decent engineering can build a product to a certain spec, by being able to buy the best parts, bring it to market and charge anything they want for it; the real engineering prowess comes when one can build a competitive performing product with a similar spec for a fraction of the cost AND price, bring it to market and still make a reasonable profit on its sale". I believe a specialty company like Oppo kind of set the world on its ear with its products and a company like Lexicon realized they just couldn't do what Oppo did.

Perhaps this is all irrelevant but it is kind of interesting.

It is interesting. This industry's technology has been moving very fast in recent years. While DVD players had become relatively straightforward to develop, Blu-ray players are a different matter. They're hard to develop. In some ways, they're easier than surround receivers/processors, but in other ways they're harder. Lexicon's had a long history of developing surround processors (going back to the 90s), but even they have faced some challenges keeping up with that market. At the same time, their history of building video disc players includes no original platforms. With DVD players, they licensed a Pioneer or other platform and adapted it to their uses. With Blu-ray, it shouldn't surprise us that they did the same thing. After all, a Blu-ray player is significantly harder to develop than a DVD player, so it's unlikely they'd start trying to develop their own now if they chose not to with DVD - especially once a platform as strong as the BDP-83 emerged. Cambridge did the same thing with the BDP-80 platform to create their BD player, and while it was significantly more expensive in the US (higher retail than the BDP-83) it was actually pretty competitively priced in their home market (the UK). The problem with the Lexicon BD-30 was the way they did it. That's where they really screwed up. Had they done what Theta did - made some effort to customize the power supply and analog audio sections, which are conveniently "easy" to modify without disturbing the core guts of the player - they might not have gotten ripped to shreds so badly online. The price difference still would have been hard to justify (Theta's had issues with that), but nothing as severe as what they've had to face instead.