Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
Gonk: Any idea about that other D&M Holdings company - McIntosh? It sure seems that an Outlaw designed 978 with their emphasis on overall sound quality and HDMI audio capabilities, might provide an excellent basis for building a future McIntosh 136 replacement.

I don't see McIntosh wanting to partner with an entity like Outlaw for such development. For one thing, they can make lots more by putting such R&D work into their own products, which sell for much higher margins. For another thing, they presumably want to preserve their market image. Partnering with an internet-direct company that focuses more on the balance of performance and value doesn't fit with that image.

It's more likely that Outlaw is working from scratch with their manufacturing partner (who is likely somebody like Eastech, the manufacturer they worked with on the Model 1050 and Model 950, rather than an entity like D&M) to develop the Model 978's analog section.

Originally Posted By: nomoneybutgoodsound
By the way, Happy Birthday!

Thanks!

No doubt you are probably right about any linkage here, however, I can't help but be reminded of the Lexicon/Oppo BD player fiasco of this past year. Of course, given the state of the consumer electronics industry and the consolidation that has been going on, I guess one should say "never say never".

Edited by casey01 (10/21/10 07:32 PM)