Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#84992 - 10/25/10 11:18 PM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: gonk]
nixmikspop Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: upstate NY
Gonk,

Don't you think it's a litle strange for them to be selling a pre\pro that would appear to be direct competition to their future pre\pro?

#84993 - 10/25/10 11:18 PM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: gonk]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Preliminary info regarding the AV7005 has been available on Marantz's website for several weeks already. It does look like an attractive product with a very good feature set but lacks Audyssey MultEQ XT32/Sub EQ HT, which remains very high on my wish list. In addition, there is no torroidal transformer and the product description makes no mention of the use of high-end DACs... not deal-breakers but certainly worth hoping for in a separate pre/pro.

Scott's apparent promise, at the outset of his announcement, that the 978 will be "the "audiophile-grade" product" we expect gives me hope that my wish list might yet be satisfied. If it can be done for a price similar to that of the AV7005, trading network connectivity for the features I've mentioned in other posts, I'm definitely in. grin

#84994 - 10/25/10 11:31 PM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: nixmikspop]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: nixmikspop
Gonk,

Don't you think it's a litle strange for them to be selling a pre\pro that would appear to be direct competition to their future pre\pro?

If they had Model 978's in the warehouse right now, I'd call it strange squared. They don't, though, and having the AV7005 in the warehouse instead gives them a way to offer customers a very compelling package today when paired with their multichannel amps.

Will they keep selling it after the Model 978 arrives? I seriously doubt it!

As GaryB points out, there are some potential differences between the AV7005 and the Model 978. Some people may want to wait to see what the Model 978 brings to the table as far as audio performance is concerned - I've seen some folks unsure whether to pull the trigger on the AV7005 or wait to see if Marantz has an AV8005 in the pipeline, and the same will likely be true for some people who are already considering the Model 978. In the meanwhile, though, having the AV7005 now means you can make sales while the Model 978 finishes cooking.

#84996 - 10/26/10 06:12 AM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: gonk]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

The AV 7005 is a terrific product. It sounds great, and the platform itself is rock solid. (See reports on the SR 7005- the receiver version) It is also feature packed and extremely flexible. Please read the Guide and you will get a good explanation of everything it can do. This approach is very appealing to many users.

By contrast, when it appears, the 978 will be, a simpler product where the emphasis will be on audiophile performance. It will be most likely found in straightforward home theaters and two channel systems. It too, will appeal to many users.

Between these two there is no "better". It really depends on the priorities of each user. For me I could be happy with either one. On the other hand, my wife would prefer the 978 when it becomes available.

So, we have to disagree with our good friend Gonk’s opinion. In actuality we haven't really decided what we will do when the 978 appears. It could be that we will have two great products that appeal to different customer's priorities. Right now with the AV 7005 we know we have one great processor.

Peter

#84998 - 10/26/10 10:42 AM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: PeterT]
nixmikspop Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: upstate NY
Well, I had decided that I was going to buy the AV7005 when it came out to replace my 990 and having Outlaw sell it with their guide and discount makes me even more trigger happy. However, after reading the above three posts(thanks), I'm thinking I have waited this long and I can wait a little longer to see what the 978 will bring to the table.

#84999 - 10/26/10 11:57 AM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: nixmikspop]
BrentG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The AV7005 doesn't support DSD. This is a deal killer for me. Outlaw, I hope you're listening...

#85000 - 10/26/10 12:30 PM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: BrentG]
gonk Offline
Desperado

I noticed that omission. It's actually been discussed some at AVS in recent weeks. I'll be curious to see if the Model 978 supports DSD input - depending on the DAC's they're using, it's entirely possible they could be able to deliver DSD straight to the DAC's. That could be a nice perk for SACD fans.

The one wrinkle with supporting DSD input in a processor is what happens to it once it's in the processor. If you want to do any processing of the signal (Pro Logic IIx or IIz, room correction/EQ, or even just bass management), the processor has to convert to PCM because the DSP chips we all use are designed around PCM - they can't do anything with a DSD bitstream except hand it off to the DAC (assuming the DAC can handle it). That means that the value in having DSD support lies mostly in an ability to deliver DSD straight to the DAC's. That ability comes at a cost: no bass management or room correction. If you ask your processor to do any processing, you've gone over to PCM anyway - at which point, you could have asked your player to convert to PCM and disregarded DSD support entirely, making omission of DSD support less significant. For the Model 998, for example, the biggest point of differentiation is expected to be Trinnov - and the only way to use Trinnov with SACD's is to convert the signal to PCM somewhere. Same for the Model 978 and AV7005 if you want to use Audyssey with your SACD's, and it's true for all three if you need bass management (which most of us can at least benefit from).

#85001 - 10/26/10 01:08 PM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: gonk]
skiman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Golden. Colorado
Gonk makes an excellent summary of the tradeoffs involved with streaming DSD. It seems to me, however, that a processor that can accept DSD could let the user compare direct DSD streaming vs. PCM (and the post processing features) and decide which they prefer. Personally, I want this ability.

#85002 - 10/26/10 01:13 PM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: skiman]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Certainly the key (at least for me) is in understanding what is happening when changing between DSD and PCM output from a player.

#85003 - 10/26/10 01:38 PM Re: Marantz AV7005? [Re: nixmikspop]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: nixmikspop
Well, I had decided that I was going to buy the AV7005 when it came out to replace my 990 and having Outlaw sell it with their guide and discount makes me even more trigger happy. However, after reading the above three posts(thanks), I'm thinking I have waited this long and I can wait a little longer to see what the 978 will bring to the table.

Niksmixpop,

Obviously we are pleased that you want to wait for a 978. It might just fit your needs. For the record however, we are NOT selling AV 7005 at a discount. For those 990 and 970 owners who purchase the 7005 we are providing them a way to sell their older processors back to us that we can later offer as “B” stock in good working order.

Peter

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM