I agree entirely - it struck me as absurd when I first saw rumors of it a couple years ago (suggestions that DVI would become the industry standard HDTV interface and that future HD receivers would limit component video outputs to 480p in spite of the large user base of HD sets without DVI inputs). It looks like that idea is being rather quietly extended to all source devices offering HD resolution outputs. Barring an unlikely change from hardware manufacturers, there are going to be a good number of disappointed HDTV owners in a couple more years. Already, the lack of 720p and 1080i at component outputs on most upconverting DVD players is creating a little fuss and a lot of business for Zenith - merc (long-ago member of the 950 best test group) recently started a thread at AVS complaining about this very issue. It's very possible that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will be limited to 480p at the component output, even though component is proven capable of handling HD signals. It's also possible that future HD receivers for OTA, satellite, and cable will begin to phase out HD output to component video, although that at least hasn't happened yet - my Pace DC-550 still allows 720p and 1080i at the component output, even though it also includes a DVI output. I don't agree with it, but it's part of the reason that I was content to wait on upgrading my TV until recently - when the opportunity finally appeared earlier this year, I found a set with DVI-HDCP just to be safe.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links