Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#83981 - 06/17/10 07:48 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: refurb
Well, "Audiophile" has become kind of a dirty word with me. It all too often denotes the pinky-extended, uptight, snobbish individual that has some serious obsessions with gear. especially, expensive stuff. I am more of a music lover. I like musical sounding systems at any price... not just the $20K amps and $60K speakers.

I can relate to that. I've been leery of using the term myself, both because it lacks a good definition and because I always feel like I would need to know more than I already do to be a "competent" audiophile. I enjoy movies and music. Sometimes I enjoy them a lot. Other times, I enjoy the idea of having time for them but don't get much chance to actually listen/watch.

Apple lossless vs FLAC? Itunes vs EAC? Too many variables for me to make a call as to which is better.

Either route is a lot more appealing than lossy solutions, certainly. I'd have to experiment a lot to prove to myself which was sonically superior and most convenient. So far, though, I've settled for staying with physical media for most of my home listening - MP3 serves its purpose for in the car and background tunes at work, but even my wife recognizes the effects of lossy compression with some of her music.

#83982 - 06/17/10 08:10 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: gonk]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I think it comes down to the fact that most people listen to mp3's through cheap headphones, pc speakers or a standard car stereo while they are otherwise occupied. Driving, running, working out. The caliber of speakers/headphones they have tends to limit playback quality regardless. Lossless is definitely a concern if you are going to be passively listening while seated or reading. I'd say lossless is a waste of time if it's not given a decent playback system. IE: no apple earbuds.

I decided to use a lossless format on a PC as a music server. That way, I can eq in the digital domain if needed. I can also eliminate a lot of variables in terms of CD player. I was listening to a FLAC of Allison Krauss, and the detail I have heard coming from a $3K cd player is all there.

#83987 - 06/17/10 11:08 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
My bet would be an eventual flame war. In the 1,024 times I have seen such a debate, it becomes a chest-puffing contest and who has the most expensive rig.
but consider your surroundings, we are here because Outlaw provides a value for the buck, not ridiculously priced gear. This might just be the right environment for a good conversation on the subject.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83989 - 06/18/10 03:02 AM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Jimna
but consider your surroundings, we are here because Outlaw provides a value for the buck, not ridiculously priced gear. This might just be the right environment for a good conversation on the subject.

I thought the same thing of other forums. I thought "Why would someone that only likes ultra-expensive gear be here at all?" But it turned out that although the forums were about most gear under $7 grand, some individuals liked to hang out there because it was a second or third system. That, and I think they enjoyed lording expensive gear over the younger folks that didn't have it. If you can make such a thread work...good luck. It would be nice to see cooler heads prevail.

#83996 - 06/18/10 02:25 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

well I did, its in the 'outlaw to outlaw' section. seems rather friendly so far, check it out.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#84001 - 06/18/10 07:19 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

So far, so good.

#84028 - 06/20/10 10:58 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I just spent a rainy Sunday ripping dozens of cd's to apple lossless. I have gotten the majority of "essential" recordings for listening done. Now I have to twiddle my thumbs and wait for my rr 2150.

#84041 - 06/21/10 02:56 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

I finished mine last week. Second time too, I was foolish enough to rip it all to mp3 for the car the first time, thinking I would still prefer spinning the CDs at home. But now all my CDs are EAC'ed and flac'ed. I have 8TB of music now in my network. I love this direction media has gone, all my music is so easy to find and I never have the huge mess of cd cases lying around either after a good listening session.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

#84042 - 06/21/10 03:14 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Question about Apple loss-less vs. FLAC. Is there any SQ difference between them when just being used on a iPod/iPhone with a pair of Ultimate Ears. I only use this for traveling but I want the best SQ I can get under these conditions.

I don't have a media server yet as I am waiting for someone to come up with a media server that will serve SACDs or DVD-As. Most of my home listening is on that media and not Redbook CDs. Unfortunately, SACDs and DVD-As seem to be a dieing technology so I don't think there will be media servers supporting those formats. Maybe, if/when the music industry goes to Bleu Ray for high definition audio someone will come up with one then.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#84044 - 06/21/10 05:17 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: mdrconsult]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I will let you know if FLAC (Ripped with EAC and winamp) has any sonic difference between it and Apple lossless. My guess is no, but we shall see.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM