I think that you can probably look at "audiophile" in two ways. The original concept (as I understand it) was someone who cared about music and trying to reproduce it accurately. Later, as the consumer electronics industry started catering to that market separately, it somehow developed an identity that was tied to cost and "boutique" products. It's that somewhat more elitist definition that I think many folks around here find to fit poorly - and the definition that refurb is justifiably leery of.. After all, Outlaw's stuff certainly isn't cheap in absolute terms (compared to a simple "home theater in a box" for example), but it is quite a bargain compared to some of the alternatives. We've been fortunate to have a diverse mix of people around, including some very knowledgeable folks on various audio and video subjects, and for whatever reason we've tended not to get caught up in the mindset of equating equipment cost or pedigree with "audiophile quality."

Originally Posted By: mzpro5
I've never thought of myself as an audiophile. If i had to put a lable on my self it would be "enthusiast" - an A/V enthusiast.

I like that term. "Enthusiast" fits much of the underlying intent of "audiophile" but doesn't retain the baggage that often accompanies it.

Originally Posted By: refurb
I read a blurb on a high end speaker site a few years ago..

"That type of person probably watches TV while listening to music" Like the idea of audio+video not being "audiophile approved".

I happen to think Genesis: when in Rome sounds really cool in 5.1 on a bigscreen.

I would agree. For several years now, the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds BD has been one of my reference discs. More than one visitor who had a love of music (especially a couple of guitar players) has been captivated by watching Reynolds play and being able to see the detail of his hands and guitar well enough to really follow his movements, and the TrueHD 5.1 track is quite nice to listen to. For that matter, how many musicians strive to put on concerts that have a visual impact? How many concert halls work hard to impress you with their interior design? It's not like musicians never tried to cater to both the ears and the eyes before the TV and home stereo were lumped together. smile It really wasn't until the radio and recorded music separated ears from eyes that the "listening only" scenario developed.

As for watching one thing and listening to another, it tends to bother my wife - if a show is on TV, she wants to hear it - but I have been known to watch something that didn't necessarily demand audio (weather, a sporting event that I had some casual interest in, etc.) while listening to music.