Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8401 - 08/02/04 01:09 PM Ceiling speaker suggestions
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
I am nearing the final stages of construction and need to pick some ceiling speakers. I will need 8 sets and then 2 pairs of wall mountable/outdoor speakers for the garage and back deck and 1 set of smaller than bookshelf type speakers for the living room. These will be powered by the last 2 channels of my Outlaw 770 since my main system will only be 5.1(let me know if you thank that will work out also). The
builders budget is about $150 a set and I probably need to stay under $200/set in most rooms just b/c of the sheer number of speakers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#8402 - 08/02/04 01:50 PM Re: Ceiling speaker suggestions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are some threads floating around here on in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and on whole-house speaker setups like yours. This recent thread might be useful if you haven't already read through it. I know that some of Paradigm's entry-level CS Series are close to your price range, and you might be able to get a Paradigm dealer to knock a few percent off for an order that size. Paradigm's also got an indoor/outdoor line ( Stylus ), and you could go with either Stylus or something like the Atom or Titan for the garage and living room. There may be a couple other manufacturers in that thread that are priced comparably. For that matter, you might elect to go with some really cheap speakers in a few rooms (something junky from Radio Shack) and focus on better speakers for other rooms - not the best solution, but something that may let you get the performance you want in the most critical spaces.

As for driving eleven sets of speakers from a single amp, I'm not sure of the logistics. I know there was some discussion of it earlier in your design process (page one of this thread ), and I think it is pretty much guaranteed that you'll want something like a Niles hub to handle all those speakers - there will need to be something between the 770 and the speakers.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#8403 - 08/02/04 03:32 PM Re: Ceiling speaker suggestions
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
Thanks for the reply Gonk.

The speakers that my wiring guy uses are M&S.

http://www.nutonesales.com/msspeaker.html

Do you know anything about those. They seem moderately priced and might be fine. It's just there are a kazillion different variations and pretty wide price point.

Thanks again.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM