Originally Posted By: refurb
Well, "Audiophile" has become kind of a dirty word with me. It all too often denotes the pinky-extended, uptight, snobbish individual that has some serious obsessions with gear. especially, expensive stuff. I am more of a music lover. I like musical sounding systems at any price... not just the $20K amps and $60K speakers.

I can relate to that. I've been leery of using the term myself, both because it lacks a good definition and because I always feel like I would need to know more than I already do to be a "competent" audiophile. I enjoy movies and music. Sometimes I enjoy them a lot. Other times, I enjoy the idea of having time for them but don't get much chance to actually listen/watch.

Originally Posted By: refurb
Apple lossless vs FLAC? Itunes vs EAC? Too many variables for me to make a call as to which is better.

Either route is a lot more appealing than lossy solutions, certainly. I'd have to experiment a lot to prove to myself which was sonically superior and most convenient. So far, though, I've settled for staying with physical media for most of my home listening - MP3 serves its purpose for in the car and background tunes at work, but even my wife recognizes the effects of lossy compression with some of her music.