Gonk,

WOW, What an answer! More like an education! Hope there is not a pop quiz!

Many thanks for that very complete, detailed, informative answer, and you also answered some questions that I did not know to ask.

For instance, I did not know that

"Dolby EX, DTS:ES, CES, and Pro Logic IIx only work with a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setup."

Thanks. I was really thinking "Do I really need 6th speaker?" I have the room, and I can afford it, I just did not see the need.

BUT, the whole reason for my upgrade, is to take advantage of all the "signal processing formats" that are out there. I was basicly happy with my current 5 yr old receiver, (Pioneer Elite VXR-14) EXCEPT that it does not have DTS, and the SACD and DVD-A formats.

However, for me, "signal processing formats" and "bells and whistles" are two different things, I want the former, but can do without the later. Give me solid performace over bells and whistles.

DVD-A and SACD, realisticly speaking, do you thing there is any real difference between say FireWire and using Analog cables? I would bet not, so the only difference is a little less clutter in the back. Actually, I am sure that there will be a million threads created out there in Audio Cyberspace touting the benefits of using FireWire vs Analog connections. . . !

So, do you thing a "value alternative" to these "super receivers, would be the 1070. along with 3 Model M Block 200? (the M200's would run the center, and Left and Right Speakers.) If the 1070 is around 700, than my configuration would be about 1600 bucks.

That price range is competitive with some "super receivers", and actually less expensive than several flagship super receivers.

Oh, what is THX, and how is that different from DTS? Is that just DTS with the THX certification, or is there additional signal processing, etc in THX?

Thanks again, and thanks for all your other posts, as I spent several hours reading them in the last several days.

[This message has been edited by BuddTX (edited August 02, 2004).]