I guess the biggest testament to the 886 that I can make (and I suspect that I would for the 997 as well) is that it simply disappears into the background during use - like every such device should.

As to Audyssey versus Trinnov... well I'm not using Audyssey in my 886. While it sounds different with it engaged, I can't say that it sounds better. I will be giving it another shot over the coming weeks. But my biggest problem with it (as implemented on the 886) is that you can't display before and after curves and you cant tweak the "after" - rather any manual calibration must start from scratch.

I'd say that the door is wide open for Outlaw to score a major victory in this category if Trinnov performs up to its advance billing AND they make it more tweaker-friendly than Audyssey is in the 886. I contend that the masses will buy a Trinnov-equipped receiver (972) and be happy to push one button (ie. "calibrate") and be done with it - whereas the enthusiast buys a pre/pro instead - and expects more control over his destiny.

Take the 886 (and Onkyo's failings) as an example. On the video side there is a TREMENDOUS amount of user adjustability and control. It's a calibrator's wet dream - and then some. Whereas on the audio side it's nothing but a bad case of coitus interruptous from a tweaking perspective!

With a name like Outlaw AUDIO, I expect that the Outlaws will get it right.