Quote:
Originally posted by fdxsteve:
Well it looks like my 886 is soon to be "obsolete". If Onkyo isn' posting upgrades on their web site for the PRO section now, can you imagine how difficult it will be in the future. To me this is a reason to wait for the 997. Now I can enjoy my 886 until the 997 comes out and wait a year or two, read the reviews, get the bugs out and buy one then. I e-mailed Onkyo for upgrade info over a week ago and still haven't rec'vd an answer. If it were'nt for forums like this I would never have known about the upgrade fix. Product support is worth waiting for.
No offense to the 997 but how does one know if there could be possible bugs with it as well that any new A/V processor could have? The 886 will be far from "obsolete" anytime soon IMO. Unfortunately if the 997 is not released soon it could possibly be "obsolete" like the 886 smile .

Are you talking about the 5507 when you mention waiting a year or two to get the bugs out? The 9.8/885 had its share of issues but the 9.9/886 was much refined with minimal issues. So I expect the 5507 to be hopefully as bug free as possible smile .

Onkyo is finally entering the 21st century and will be doing FW updates via the web for the new receivers and prepros. So future Onkyo owners will not have to depend on the kindness of a few AVS members to get FW updates wink .

Bill