Quote:
Originally posted by cp1966:
I recently bought a 886 from shoponkyo.com during their apparent clearance sale of refurbs for $999.

Many on the AVS forum claim a lot of these units were new. Some suggested if the serial number started with a "R", it was a refurbed unit. If the unit shpped with the current FW version of 1.4, it was a refurbed unit and Onkyo made the update. My unit was flawless, the serial number does notstart with a "R", and had 1.0 FW installed. I updated it myself to 1.4.

I have had my 886 for about a week, and I love it. The sound is incredible. I wanted to wait for the 997 but I dont think it will be out soon.

It is a very nice gesture for Outlaw to offer these units, even seeming to "authorize" them with a section for posting a competing product. But the price seems pretty high (IMO).

I think Onkyo is planning on releasing a PR-SC5507 model in the future, but I am not sure when or what upgrades it will have over the 886.
How did you update it yourself? The only firmwear upgrade listed on Onkyo's site is for the TX-SR605, DV-HD805, and TX-SR605 ?
Also, Accessories for less is an authorized dealer for Onkyo. I checked with Onkyo before buying.