Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#81128 - 05/22/09 10:32 PM Re: The Risk
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yeah, but computer monitors at those resolutions make sense - your source material is being generated in real time by the OS. I've got a 24" at work that runs at 1920x1200, and for CAD I would be happy to have something larger still with a higher resolution. An HDTV at higher than 1920x1080 is still just scaling a 1080-line signal. Scaling can be done quite well, but its still no substitute for content at the native resolution - and if it's done badly, it can even be detrimental. That's why I doubt we'll see HDTV's past 1080p for a bit longer yet.

#81129 - 06/17/09 06:41 AM Re: The Risk
EagleOne Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
As I read through several threads and see mention of "bugs" and "firmware upgrades" and "beta testing" etc., I see nobody mentioning what surely must be the biggest risk factor right now relating to purchasing any product.

In the industrial sector which I work in (aerospace), it is conservatively estimated that 50% of the supply chain (ie. companies) will not be in business by the end of the recession.

We already see what's happening in automotive.

You name it.

There's no reason to believe that consumer electronic manufacturers will not be similarly affected.

So what's the risk? Is it the warranty? After all, it won't be worth anything if the company you bought the product from goes belly up. But you know what? That's actually a small risk for reasons that I'll mention below. So what's the real risk?

What about the poor guy that buys his new piece of gear knowing that it's full of bugs BUT expecting that life today is the same as it has been in the past, and the manufacturer will just keeping patching that firmware until it gets it right. So what happens then when the manufacturer folds? Stuck forever with a buggy device.

My suggestion(s): make sure that what you buy right now has had ALL of the bugs worked out prior to buying it. If it works (bug free) right out of the box and for the next 30 days, then statistically-speaking there's an excellent chance that it will last through the warranty period.

Holding off on becoming an early adopter is an even safer bet nowadays than it has ever been. A product that's been on the market for six months is more than ever a much safer bet nowadays than one that's just been released (again with reference mostly to devices that are heavily dependent on firmware in order to function properly.)

Vaveat emptor!
I can't buy a 997 until December or January anyway, so I should be safe.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 254 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts

Most users ever online: 677 @ 09/27/24 06:41 PM