Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
1) Look into the Benchmark DAC1. It's a pro-quality DAC that may help you hear what you are "missing" in your current system. It's also very easy to fit into your current system as you can use your current player as a transport.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/

Would you suggest the DAC1 for those who have very high quality speakers, and associated solid state components for two channel? Is there an argument for more than one unit, as they are only a half rack space in width?

If so, would I run a digital PCM two channel signal via coax from a CD/DVD Player such as a Panasonic RP91 to the DAC1?

Now, I use the Outlaw 950 in stereo bypass mode for all two channel recordings, using the DAC's in the RP91. The RP91 also can upsample CD's to 88.2 kHz/24bit before converting to analog output. I believe this feature smoothes out higher frequencies (less strident than the unconverted signal) coming from this player. It may not be an issue with other players or the DAC1 however.

With all the hype on the newest DAC's in players, pre-pros, and receivers, it would actually be comforting to know that a separate pro quality box like the DAC1, would be a significant improvement for two channel purists. it also has balanced outputs, which is always a good option to have.

Best,
Allan

[This message has been edited by AGAssarsson (edited May 28, 2004).]