I pose this as a question not as a statement. I’m a 990 owner and while I love the 990, going DVI instead of HDMI really hasn’t panned out has it? As we prepare for the 997, most blu-ray players and HD monitors are coming into the market with some kind of inner networking ability. I have a Pioneer blu-ray player and a Samsung monitor, and while Samsung is DLNA certified and Pioneer has their own proprietary "interface" system, the two pieces of equipment can “talk” to each other to some degree. Beyond rudimentary video and audio settings, they control power for each other, and the remotes recognize and control each distinct piece of equipment. Through DLNA, the Samsung can access my computer-based media files independent of the 990 (great for photos – not so great for video and audio).

The next generation of monitors just shown at CES will all be networked for access to remote media sources over Cat 6 and WiFi. My question is, how will the 997 fit into and work with these new home media networks? Or is the 997 as a stand alone audio/video processor - as opposed to a a/v media server - already obsolete?

Samsung 750C HDTV, Oppo BDP-95, Outlaw 990, Bryston 9B SST Pro, B&W 804S/HTM2, Hsu Research VTF 2, Audioquest/ Kimber cables, Transcendent Sound power supply, Apple TV, XBox 360