Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I'll go along with this one. smile For one thing, I would think that we'd get rid of s-video before composite - simply because the number of devices with s-video that don't also have component video are pretty small. My S-VHS VCR from 1995 and my SMS-1 are the only two I have that fall in this category, and the SMS-1 would work equally well via composite as via s-video. There's also LaserDisc, of course, and some older game consoles (Dreamcast, for example). There's even a precedent - the pictures from CEDIA showed that OPPO's Blu-ray player will retain composite video but omit s-video. As a result, I figured that we'd see the s-video connections follow the composite video connections into oblivion (if they didn't get eliminated first), making the converters you mentioned not terribly useful.

While it might be a cable or my dvd-r machine, I did notice that trying to use the component out of my DVD recorder (Toshiba) gave a yucky greenish cast to the picture (didn't matter if it went through my receiver or direct to the TV), while the svideo output was perfect. The component out of my cable box is also perfect through the same cables and inputs. Good thing I had the Svideo connections.