Quote:
Originally posted by AudioBear:
I was getting tired of waiting for this announcement and almost sprung for a Denon AVR-5308. Glad I didn't. I will be replacing my 990 with a 997.

Hooray for Outlaw!
While I understand your comments from an economic point of view (especially since the 5308 lists for about four times the price of the 997) don't forget that the 5308 has some features that offer a reason for the higher price. Beside the obvious (like 50% more HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs along with more of just about every kind of input and output) there are important things such as Silicon Optics' Realta Video processor instead of the less capable (but still good) Reon VP. And Denon Link has always been a favorite of mine - especially if you have a Denon DVD player because you get a direct no nonsense digital link from your SACD/DVD-A sources to the receiver without an HDMI intermediary. And the 5380 and similar has a slew of other internal components of a quality that would be hard to match at under $1500 list. Plus Audyssey Pro has several features like dynamic EQ that Trinnov doesn't seem to offer.

However, in the real world of 21st century economics it is highly significant that something like the 997 is able to pull off such a product with the features it offers at its price point. I predict that when this product comes to market it will affect the industry much the same way that the original 950 did to the pre/pro world. A technology will be offered to many more people who before this could only read and dream about such applications.

I'm talking from experience as the (in)famous "Beta Tester #1" for the 950. I've paid my dues, and have gone through a succession of pre/pros after that - from a 950 to a Lexicon MC-8 to several HDMI capable Denon receivers (thanks Lexicon for dropping the ball on this one!) and currently using a Denon AVP-A1HDci pre/pro. While I feel that my current pre/pro (still coupled to Outlaw Amps!) gives me remarkable flexibility I'm amazed at how far Outlaw's "900" series of pre/pros has progressed in less than a decade. Considering the fact that the 997 will list for less than the original 950 (considering the value of TODAY'S dollar) that's quite an accomplishment. Room equalization in a pre/pro has become extremely mainstream in very short order.

My 2 cents.

My HT - Updated 05/29/07