Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher:
The first thing I’d recommend would be that whatever brand of speakers you choose make them identical. In other words don’t put big towers up front (a lot of people do this for the look) and then put smaller surrounds in the back. Even if they are voice matched to each other you will notice a difference when the sound pans around the room. You may want to make an exception for the center because of size issues(I did) but the rest should be the same speakers. I would also recommend 2 subwoofers instead of 1.
Lasher

I would disagree with that, towers are good for the front because they handle music for movies and need to be full range. The rears can be smaller because they are effects which are not typically as musical. The most important speaker in your system is your center (dialog), then your sub (bass :-)), then fronts, then rears. i also disagree that two subs is always better than one (as i have talked about in other threads), but i do agree that every speaker except for the sub should be made by one company (for timbre matching, etc.) a lot of times companies that make good speakers make bad subs, polk who you were thinking about is one that has good speakers but their subs should only be used as coffee tables.