Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#798 - 01/19/02 01:40 PM 1050 Surround Mode Q
newman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Greetings,

I'm seriously considering "upgrading" my current NAD Stereo receiver to the 1050 A/V receiver. I have one (admittedly obscure) feature question regarding surround modes that I'm sure any owner of a 1050 could answer.

I understand that your surround mode preference for a given input is remembered when you reselect that input. However, how does the 1050 arbitrate surround modes when a given input is capable of both surround encoded inputs (DD, ProLogic, DTS) as well as plain old stereo inputs?

Concretely, suppose I put a normal PCM encoded two channel stereo CD in my DVD player. I decide I want to apply "Natural" DSP processing to the source. After that I put a DVD in that has a DD 5.1 soundtrack. Since the DSP mode doesn't apply to this source, does it: 1. Pick 2ch stero, 2. Pick "surround", or 3. Select one of the arbitrary mixdown modes? Finally, assuming I specify a preference for "surround" to play back the DVD, if I then place a "normal" CD back in the DVD tray will the 1050 remember that I prefer "natural" DSP expansion of the 2 channel stero for this input or pick a different 2 channel option?

As I said, a slightly obscure question but I am truly curous.

-Thanks!

#799 - 01/20/02 02:19 AM Re: 1050 Surround Mode Q
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
The way it works is, each input has its own settings. Ideally you'd have two unique sources for dvd/cd. So if you play a cd with one setting and then switch to your dvd player, it'll be set to whatever your dvd was the last time you used it. Now since you're using your dvd player to run cd's as well, I believe it will simply stay in whatever mode it was in previously.

I just had an interesting thought which I may try out. You can select the digital input for your various sources. I don't know as I just thought about this while typing, but if you can set the same digital source to two different devices, you could have the dvd setting for surround, and the cd for whatever you prefer.

I may try that out just to see if it works. Anybody else try this? Does it work? Or once you pick a source for your digital in, is it not available for other sources?

#800 - 01/20/02 04:37 AM Re: 1050 Surround Mode Q
newman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Interesting...

I hadn't even considered that possibility! Now I'm even more curious. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the same physical digital input for two logical inputs?

My confusion stands (what a surprise!) however. I was under the impression that the DSP modes weren't applicable to surround sources. What exactly happens when you try and play a DVD with a surround soundtrack in a device whose input selection is (for example) "natural"???

-Thanks..

#801 - 01/20/02 12:40 PM Re: 1050 Surround Mode Q
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Yes I do, I run the dvd setting to opt1 and the cd setting to opt1. That way I can play a dvd or cd in the same player without switching surround modes just switch the source.

m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#802 - 01/21/02 11:18 AM Re: 1050 Surround Mode Q
christiang2001 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm doing the same thing m-mmmmeyer is and it works great fro me.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts