Here's some more thoughts on this subject. Outlaw's goal has always been to find opportunities to do something that solves a unique problem or fills a unique position in the market. The 950 happened to include a unique price point as part of that (one of the first sub-$1000 surround processors, if not the first), but the 1050 wasn't the least expensive receiver of its day (it focused on 6.1 and adjustable bass management, both of which were very rare at the time). The Model 1070 and RR2150 are both far from the least expensive receivers in their respective categories - you can get a surround receiver with a higher power spec for $300 or $400 and a stereo receiver for maybe $100 or $200 - but they both offer unique features such as DVI switching, quad crossover, and stout amp in the 1070 or analog bass management in the RR2150. The also perform very well (the RR2150 made the cover of Stereophile, for example). Heck, the ol' ICBM-1 wasn't exactly cheap at $250, but it developed a huge following that still exists today because it was the only product on the market that addressed a unique and difficult problem.

Outlaw admitted in their original speaker announcement (and again when the announced the LCR, as mentioned here ) that they could have partnered with any number of manufacturers (mostly overseas) to build something less expensive than the Bookshelf and LCR speakers. They chose not to, and I think a significant factor in that decision was the fact that such a product would not have been unique - it would have been a very good speaker, just like the dozens of other good speakers already on the market. Instead, they tried something unique again: US-made, individually tuned, and with capabilities such as boundary compensation that are extremely rare (especially at the price). As for the actual "rubber meets the road" performance, some of the initial feedback has been very positive. I've been curious to hear these speakers - even to the point of toying around with the idea of three bookshelves or two bookshelves and an LCR across the front of my system - and may actually give them a whirl later this year.