Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#782 - 01/19/02 01:45 AM Just received the 1050
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hello, I just received the 1050 this week. I've done alot of reading about this receiver for the last couple of months and decided to go with it. What a nice sturdy built piece. However I have a few questions that I hope can be rectified, otherwise it's down hill for the 1050. I just hooked this up tonight and the previous tuner I was using was an old Sony STR-AV320. This is just a 2 x 50 amp only with no Dobly Surround nothing. I've been using that to listen to my new Polk Audio RT 55i's. For those of you not familiar with this model, it has two 6 1/2" woofers and a tweeter. The Sony pushed these ( what I thought) nice and plenty of bass. Tonight I hook the 1050 up to it and now I have less bass than the cheapo Sony receiver I purchased 11 years ago. Before any one sends me suggestions, here is what I did so far.

There is currently 16 gauge going to each speaker. I've double checked the phasing of the speakers and that is fine. I am purposely running it in Stereo mode since I've only got two speakers hooked up to it at the moment. I put these RT 55i's on Large and Small. I understand the difference between the two, but neither provides the bass that I had. Also, on the crossover, I've got it set at 100hz. Tried 60hz too, but nothing really different which is expected. For the Treble and bass, I've got them both at 6+ db. Outlaw mentions that normal listening levels is 45 or so on the volume setting which I agree with. But at that level , I had alot more bass on the old wimpy Sony than I do on this unit. Hope I'm missing something here. I don't want to have to turn up the thing to like 70 just to get the speakers to start moving with bass. I don't want to give everyone the impression I'm a bass fanatic here, but just notice a considerable loss from the older receiver that is less per channel. Speaker location has not changed either since the last receiver so that should be fine.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Jeff

#783 - 01/19/02 02:06 AM Re: Just received the 1050
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

On your display is the LFE lit up? Have you turned the sub setting to off?

------------------

#784 - 01/19/02 02:35 AM Re: Just received the 1050
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Yeah, I sure did. Sub is off . I noticed even less when I turned it on of course. Would it make a difference with biamping the wires to the speaker ? I read about this on the Tip and Tricks I believe part of this forum. The Polk's have a hookup for the tweeter and one for the woofer.

Jeff

#785 - 01/19/02 02:35 AM Re: Just received the 1050
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Good call on double checking the LFE.

I'll assume you are using material you're familiar with so you know how is SHOULD sound. Also, realize that the volume gain on the Outlaw is linear, not logarithmic like most units. This means you have to turn it up much farther than you should be used to doing.

I just checked Polk's site and I notice that your speakers are set up with two sets of posts. Have you bi-wired them? If not, is the jumper still installed? Maybe try bi-wiring.

If you can't fix it by playing with it yourself, and nobody gives you a fix here in the forum, give Outlaw tech support a call. They may have just the fix you need. Or, if it could possibly be a defective unit, they should be able to help you determine that as well.

Hope you get it set up to your liking and you stay with the Outlaw family. Let us know what the final resolution is.

Edit: Fixed some spelling errors that were bugging me! Hope there aren't any more.

[This message has been edited by Owl's_Warder (edited January 19, 2002).]

#786 - 01/19/02 02:36 AM Re: Just received the 1050
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Man, you posted while I was responding! My response now looks like I can't read! Oh well...

#787 - 01/19/02 02:48 AM Re: Just received the 1050
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

I will try the biamping ( don't know if I pronounced this right) tomorrow. The jumper piece is currently on the speakers which bridges the tweeter and woofer together. Tomorrow , I will run another wire and connect each one to each post, then combine them at the 1050. Hope this helps. I do understand it's a linear volume. Just seems like at lower levels on the bottom of the line sony I have " still " has more bass at lower levels even.

#788 - 01/19/02 02:51 AM Re: Just received the 1050
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

To add to my post above, of course I will be taking that bridge connector out first before doing so

#789 - 01/19/02 10:05 AM Re: Just received the 1050
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Have you tried adjusting the Bass and Treble settings any? The default setting +0 is fairly flat sounding to me. BTW, This must be done from the front panel controls. I whish these could be adjusted with the remote controll.

#790 - 01/19/02 10:18 AM Re: Just received the 1050
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

yeah, bass is at + 6db and Treble is at 0 because I have to turn it up loud just to get the speakers to really move. I just hooked back up my Sony this morning and I get a lot more bass at lower levels. Hoping to hear a great solution from Outlaw on this one, otherwise I will be sending it back this week. I don't feel I should have to purchase a subwoofer just to get bass ya know ?

Jay-1

#791 - 01/21/02 01:14 PM Re: Just received the 1050
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
One comment: if you've got a crossover at 100hz and the fronts set to small, and no sub, isn't that portion of the signal being thrown away? I thought that without a sub, you HAD to set all your speakers to large to avoid throwing the bass away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 98 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts