Allan, I believe the 91 has the older Genesis chipset, with the 82 having the FLI2200 Genesis/Sage/Faroudja chip onboard. Both the 91 and 82 units supposedly use the same high-end MPEG decoder on-board. And any product (other brands used the Panasonic platform) with this one, will be without the chroma bug. Although others choices which do display the Chroma problem do not always exhibit to a degree which greatly bothers the owners.
For CD play sometimes I use both the Outlaw and 91's DAC’s. It depends on the CD.
I started trying to firm up BM in the 91 with different discs, and never finished playing with the re-master options. Early on I believe I mistakenly thought that the re-master only worked in analog output (when I sped read about the Denon problems with it) so I did not scroll through the choices very often during heavy playing the first days I owned it as I was mucking mainly in digital output those days. Mostly I’ve played with re-master off and bypass-video function. . Need to go back and play with it some more. I have a lot left to learn in bass management but I used to spend more time figuring out how to handle that on CD play. Since the 91 has no BM in CD or DVD-A play. I’ll sometimes listen to CD’s Via the 91 analog outputs but depending on the CD, will also use the digital input on the 950 for some of my stereo listening. Honestly work tied me up, and I never sorted out a ‘default’ to leave the 91 or the 950 in. Depending on the CD, I’ll just scroll through some of my choices till it sounds right. When I use the digital output from the 91 there is a bass signal added to the bitstream. It seemed (maybe that was one reason, or I just preferred the 950’s DAC’s with certain recordings) better for some of my discs via digital, and conversely others through the 91’s analog outputs.
I need to try out the re-master setting on certain CD’s I purchase since I acquired the 91 to see if there are marked differences I can distinguish. Thanks for the reminder!.

Jeff, I was not referring to a bias of “I like it better” although this has its place in any individuals purchase, and I respect anyone’s right to exercise "Like" Vs "Dislike" subjectively, when the funds come from their own wallet.

I think you leaned my post a direction I was not headed. Was not trying to challenge your shootout criteria I was referencing the BIAS created by tradeoffs, which should properly be left to each individual self-determined grading of priorities.

If the priority is a dual format player. The 82 is necessarily instantly eliminated, no matter how capable its DVD-V performance.

I’ve seen many many Pioneer purchase’s who chose the 45 models for its capability and liked its sound. I remember if memory serves that some owners felt there was weakness on its SACD playback. But were content with its performance. And (just my life) would never throw out the term “awful” without backing it with something concrete in any AV forum, actually I would not use the term at all, since (I don’t own one, but what if I did and you made me cry. ). Those are fighting ‘sounds like’ words and I don’t like fights.
When it launched at full retail, many purchasers could have gone any number of routes if highest priority was the BEST SACD playback on the market but again Not if dual functionality was the #1 purchase criteria.

Personally as regards SACD and DVD-A I find the recordings all over the map in quality. (DVD-A by my own ear, taking other peoples word for the SACD format). I’m not sure if its worth the extra money (or space) to have a dedicated SACD, AND DVD-A AND DVD-V players in your system. (the best of all worlds usually when letting any unit focus on doing ONE thing well). I wonder if its even wise to wait on all that. Who knows if the core media will change before the dual players even reach a point that it is common to have highest quality audio playback with the best video available at a cost only big pockets can afford. Early adopters get the pleasure of having the ability to pick up discs in either format, while SACD and DVD-A are still currently available. If the industry goes as the industry goes HR playback will morph into some entirely different recording medium. In the meantime, those not wanting their title choices limited get the most bank for the buck out of these two mutichannel formats being on board the same unit with decent video capabilities especially when prices are coming down as there are now on the first/second generation of these units.

Just me!