Quote:
Originally posted by Joshorr:
What sonic qualities do you feel make up for the roll of a sealed (is that why you said a large enclosure to counter this)?

Sealed subs are said to have the least amount of sound distortion compare to ported or PR. Nevertheless, if not designed properly, it can still have considerable distortion (quote from Kyle at Acoustic-visions). Generally speaking, because of it’s smoother transition towards lower frequency, its better for music. Keep in mind, there are exceptions among ported and PR subs. Also, with sealed sub, no need to worry about the port noise.

The larger enclosure was for HT purpose. By having a larger internal volume, it allows the roll off to occur at a lower point thus getting more rumble. Then again, there are exceptions such as REL and M&K. But do you really want to spend over $1,000 when you don’t have to? This is where DIY gets it’s role.

Quote:
Does room gain fit into this roll off better than a flat responce?

In car audio design, I’ve been told that the difference is significant. The size of room, shape of room, placement of sub, furniture and room surface treatment all contribute to the performance of sub (and speakers). This is an area where most consumers including myself, will have a hard time fully comprehending. You may count on room gain but the amount you actually end up getting may be less than you desire. In other words, its unpredictable unless set in a room specifically designed for music or HT. Hope this answers your question. Try writing to someone like soundhound and see what he can add.

Quote:
The way these kits can come everybody should make their own subs.

I’ve been trying to convince other outlaws on benefits of DIY subs and speakers but the response seem to be less than stellar. Perhaps you can write once you have your DIY sub and let those skeptical outlaws see the light.

Good luck.

Spiker