Nothing substantial to add here except that I enjoy modifying to a certain extent and consider it another extension of this hobby. First my comments are music related systems only. I want to make that clear as we are on a HT forum. You should be very familar with the sound of the stock unit in your system before even considering a modification. Know what you want to accomplish and do as much of the work as you can yourself. Or as Jeff points out and as I have found useful in all electronics, have that friend that knows it all and can either do the job or bail you out. It is nice if the friend is single and has no life and if your wife will cook for him while he works (DM if you are reading this I am joking, I love you, the steaks are on the grill). If you go to an outside service know the people involved or get to know them well before utilizing the service. Be able to recognize that you are getting what you paid for in parts and service. The price point at which you are modding is a factor also. You must consider how much you have involved and how much you want to spend. As I have said before I would consider a mod to a $300 solid state amp but not to a $1000 one. I don't have the experience with solid state and don't want to take the chance on the warranty, and I frankly don't have the time. I just bought a sub that 10 years ago I would have built myself. Modifications can be fun, it can provide a benefit and to take the other view from Jeff it can save you money over new equipment by accomplishing some of the same things at a lower cost than a new purchase. But there is risk involved. It is not for eveyone. It can be a big pain in the rear and you need to allocate time for the project. Also you never get your money back in the resell unless you are extremely lucky. People are very skeptical about mods in purchasing used equipment.

Now I have another suggestion. If you really think you want to do something with electronics or speakers, first buy a simple kit. Start out with one with low cost and ease in build, Say the Bottlehead Foreplay preamp, or the Parts Express BR speaker kit, I think both are around $150. Both of these are suppose to be relatively easy and supply you everything you need. They have wonderful forums and support people if you get in trouble. If in 2 months you are struggling with this, or it is still sitting in the box waiting for you to get started, forget modifications. It won't work for you. If you brezze though this and love doing it and enjoy the work, then tackle something complex or some of your own inexpensive equipment. Just my opinions, and we know what opinions are like

[This message has been edited by OFCCM (edited June 11, 2003).]