thanks for the quick reply, gonk.
good steer.
i'll check out the cheapo ipod dock selection next time i'm at fry's. another economical tweak for the closet arrangement: i used a couple of $15.- dual-fan laptop cooling "placemat" thingeys switched with a relay fed by splitting the 12v trigger switch from the 970. things were getting a little warm in there and the preamp seemed to be malfunctioning from remote commands. a fiber optic cable from the optical output fished thru the wall and placed discreetly below a side speaker serves as a power on indicator.

the next challenge is to find a diy/inexpensive way to get the remote population under control. i'm now running sixteen speakers throughout my apartment via three receivers all sourced from an
apple laptop and airport express units(2). including the laptop itself, wireless mouse and keyboard, there are now NINE remotes attendant to audio/video equipment. i know crestron, et. al. make control systems, but these can cost as much as a laptop. seems it should be possible with software, a central IR transmitter and IR repeaters...

having fun. i'll keep you posted.