Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#76588 - 10/12/08 01:17 AM model 970 optical input delay
nanogizmo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

wondering if anyone out there has experienced a delay problem feeding the 970 video 1 optical input from an apple airtunes express. there is a 1-2 second delay at the beginning of each song. from i-tunes, i simultaneously run another system using another airtunes exp. and analog connection; no delay on that system. my guess is that it takes the 970 a moment to recognize the optical input, and i miss the first couple of seconds of each song. any fixes?

#76589 - 10/12/08 03:26 AM Re: model 970 optical input delay
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The difference between analog and digital is the need to identify the format of the digital bitstream (PCM stereo, DD 5.1, DD 2.0, DTS 5.1, etc.) - and that generally creates a delay initially as the signal is identified properly. Unmutingthe processor too soon could lead to some nasty audio noise from a mis-decoded signal.

#76590 - 10/12/08 07:44 PM Re: model 970 optical input delay
nanogizmo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk: dude: i hope you're on the outlaw payroll. anyway, you missed the mark this time, amazing as that might be. i've noticed the phenomenon you refer to, and heard the awful screaming digital monster too. toggling thru surround modes seems to fix/reset/reboot that. the delay problem i had appears to stem from the auto poll setting in input configuration. turn auto poll off, and the delay drops out. optical digital is clean as a laser beam. one opto-electronic conductor, simple.

so i'm wondering what it takes to get upgraded from deputy gunslinger. i'm expecting arrival of the final component to my system tomorrow; an mmg-c. it's taken awhile, but i think i've done well. the only thing i've paid full bricks and mortar retail for is the projector and screen; couldn't trust used/no warranty on that. and wire. despite looking for bargains (fry's electronics is a good source) i've spent a pretty penny on wire/interconnects.

the system is;
macbook itunes, airport express
sony dvd
outlaw 970/7075
mmg-w, mmg-c front and center
linn majik sides (DEMO pair)
paradigm adp cinema rear (new in box, 1/3 retail)
hsu stf sub
optoma hd65 proj. elite 84" screen
salamander IR repeater

not counting macbook, grand total, about 4k.

and when i had a girlfriend, she would approve. components in closet, wires in walls, speakers match colors (whites) in room.

#76591 - 10/13/08 02:01 AM Re: model 970 optical input delay
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
anyway, you missed the mark this time, amazing as that might be. i've noticed the phenomenon you refer to, and heard the awful screaming digital monster too. toggling thru surround modes seems to fix/reset/reboot that. the delay problem i had appears to stem from the auto poll setting in input configuration. turn auto poll off, and the delay drops out.
Glad to hear that you found the issue.
Quote:
so i'm wondering what it takes to get upgraded from deputy gunslinger.
The magic number is 15 (or perhaps 16) posts...

#76592 - 10/13/08 02:20 AM Re: model 970 optical input delay
nanogizmo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks. this forum is a great resource. very knowledegable contributors.

fifteen posts; is that like the equivalent of whackin' a guy when you're in the mafia?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM