Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#76146 - 04/15/07 04:31 AM my last post..
ratso Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

for obvious reasons, as you can see. i hope this is taken in the right way. i have always loved stereo (not surround sound) systems, and wanted to get a system that sounded great but could handle my new 1080p tv, playstation 3, etc. So rather then buy an AV receiver, i decided to buy a 970. which i did. and when i got it, it sat in the box in my kitchen as i solved other problems i was having getting the rest of my system together. and in this 2 month period, i found this forum. and read post after post of complaints of no sound, switching problems, blown speakers, processing errors, failed software patches, etc. and frankly i lost confidence in my new purchase. i picked up the box and sent it back. for all i know, it could have worked perfectly and i would have been happy forever. but for $800 i would like to have some faith in my purchase and i just didn't anymore. i wound up buying an AV receiver just like i said i didn't want. and to tell the truth i've been happy as a clam i did; no problems, sounds great and a lot more flexibility (hdmi)at the same price. i love the idea behind outlaw and hope the best for them, but i think a lot of people are going to feel like i do - this product should be off the shelves. i don't think just fixing it will be the answer, as there is just too much bad publicity surrounding it. go with the 990 and come out with a new lower priced amp that doesn't have these endless bugs, because i fear this model is scaring off potential customers. unfortunately i am one of them: people want to feel that if they take an outlaw product out of the box and plug it in it will work.

#76147 - 04/15/07 01:50 PM Re: my last post..
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sorry to hear that the 970 didn't work out for you ratso. But don't feel that you can't stick around here - plenty of folks around here don't own any Outlaw gear, and you're welcome to post here.

#76148 - 06/16/07 07:35 AM Re: my last post..
Arthur Pappas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chilliwack, BC, CANADA
ratso, I wish I had your foresight & sent this thing packing myself. I was so fed up with this thing that I tossed it into my closet a half year ago & it still sits there. I don't know how many phone calls I fielded while at work or away somewhere because someone wanted to watch a movie or simply listen to a cd & they would not get the unit to make a peep. My favourite phone call was when my girlfriend calls & asks "is there something wrong" & all I can hear in the background is a horribly loud distorting sound coming from my speakers. That was the proverbial 'last straw' for me.

I'm still using a cheap-ish receiver feeding signals to my Anthem amp while the 970 hides in the closet. I was quite excited at the delivery of the firmware update early this year, hoping this ordeal would finally conclude, but I was wrong. Even the latest firmware update did absolutely jack to ratify the 970's design flaws.

I've wanted to ebay it on many occasions but I bought it at such a horrible exchange rate that with today's strong Canadian dollar it would make no sense (it cost me ~$CAD1100 factoring customs charges/etc).

I'm not even mad about it anymore. I guess other things in life make crappy electronics seem unimportant. Besides, my neighbour is building a large workshop & I'm hoping to sell it to him so he can have music in his garage while turning wood on his lathes.

In the end, lets be honest & call a spade a spade. And on that note,

I fold.
Prismiq MediaPlayer
Toshiba 34" 16:9 HD CRT
Wharfedale Pac Evo 8 / cen / surr / sub

#76149 - 06/16/07 02:20 PM Re: my last post..
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Arthur,

We have worked tirelessly on this issue with the help of several 970 owners and with each update, have gotten closer to a "final" fix.

Over the last few months we have been able to reduce the "no audio" anomaly for customers with even the most persistent issues to near negligible occurrences.

While I understand that you have tossed your unit in the closet, I invite you to contact me on Monday at your convenience so that we may send you this soon to be released update.

Regards,

Scott

#76150 - 06/17/07 06:40 AM Re: my last post..
Arthur Pappas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chilliwack, BC, CANADA
Scott, I appreciate the offer. However, if I'm going to go through the trouble of digging out my 970 (it's buried in the back of my closet) & setting it up in my system, I'd rather wait until this 'final fix' is officially released. That way if other owners are still having issues I don't have to undo everything again.

As a side note, the no audio bug, while a major annoyance, was not the deciding factor for me putting the 970 away. It was the random high pitched distorting "beeping" sound that got me fearful for my speakers. I'm more concerened about that then the no audio issues.

When do you expect to release the firmware?
Prismiq MediaPlayer
Toshiba 34" 16:9 HD CRT
Wharfedale Pac Evo 8 / cen / surr / sub

#76151 - 06/18/07 05:40 AM Re: my last post..
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
I also own a 970. I have also encountered both the above mentioned problems. Specifically the high pitched screech and the no audio problem. But here is what I have found with my particular unit. I can switch between any analog signal with no problems. As far as switching digital or video signals that is where I have enountered problems. But...I have not had either problem since I changed the way in which I switch things. I use two DVD players and a cable box. I make sure the DVD players are not playing before switching sources. If I am to play a DVD, I first make the selection on the Outlaw then hit play. If I hit play first and then turn the Outlaw on or select the source, that is when I encounter problems (not always) but I think it has something to do with the processor interpreting the signal as analog or digital. I am not an expert in this stuff, I just enjoy music and movies and could just be full of crap, but this is how I have used this product. With the exception of the above problems, I really like the product. The sound is good, has great conectivity, video switching I can live with(if I sequence my selections properly). I can understand the reluctance to try firmware that is not perfect-I am also reluctant to go thru the hassle of questionable firmware. But this is a product IMHO that works similar to a computer, in that it has quirks that you have to figure out how to work with. I have not damaged anything so far, also, I have encountered the no audio problem very rarely, as far as the high pitched screech, it just does not happen if I make my selections so as not to force the processor to search for a signal. Rereading this, it makes sense to me and hope it helps. It is a shame to not use an expensive (at least to me) piece of equipment that is a pain in the ass to get through customs and the taxes and gouging that goes along with it. (my issue with couriers). Good luck.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM