Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#76046 - 03/09/07 08:53 AM serial cable for S/W update
Bruce E Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ellicott City, MD
I need a serial cable to apply the firmware update for my 970, but retailers aren't always clear about whether their cables are straight-through or crossover. Is it safe to assume that female-female cables, which you could use between two PCs, are crossover type, but that male-female, which you could use as extension cables, are straight-through? Or, more to the point, are any male-female cables crossover?

Here's an inexpensive one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812117007,
but the description is identical for both male-female and female-female, even though they mention both laplink (crossover) and monitor (straight-through) use.

Thanks,
Bruce

#76047 - 03/09/07 09:55 AM Re: serial cable for S/W update
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The male-female "extension" cables would certainly need to be straight through, but I would also expect the male-to-male cables to be straight through unless specifically labeled as crossover cables. I got my serial cable at Radio Shack, but I got mine probably around 1993 or 1994 and I could hardly find anything that even had serial connectors on it at Radio Shack's web site this morning. I suspect that this cable would work (the laplink reference is probably to the old Laplink software, which I think could work with straight-through serial connections - it's been at least a decade since I used Laplink, though).

EDIT: there are also some options here , but going through them makes me want to go home and dig out the serial cable that I know I've used successfully. I'll take a look at it this evening.

#76048 - 03/09/07 06:50 PM Re: serial cable for S/W update
Bruce E Offline
Gunslinger

Actually, Gonk, I was under the impression that it's precisely the PC-to-PC connections that require a crossover cable (as opposed to PC-to-device), so the Laplink cable would be a crossover cable. I can't confirm this, not having one, but if this isn't right, then I know exactly nothing about serial cables, 'cause that's all that I thought I knew!

#76049 - 03/09/07 08:57 PM Re: serial cable for S/W update
epson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: PA
""in the software download instructions,
there is a link to an inexpensive RS-232 cable if you do not already own one.""

Just use the link, works great

#76050 - 03/09/07 09:48 PM Re: serial cable for S/W update
Bruce E Offline
Gunslinger

Epson - you're right - that's as cheap as a cable can be. I had looked for this cable in a local CompUSA store, where they had a similar cable for $20. That made me want to see if there was a cheaper one, since I hope this will be a one-time operation!

The one linked on the instructions page is inexpensive enough that I wonder why Outlaw doesn't just include it with their pre/pros.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM