Quote:
Originally posted by palmer:
Elmosaurus, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread...

I upgraded the firmware in my 970 yesterday as well. So far none of the three issues I saw have recurred.

(No Audio, non-responsive front panel, distorted sound from a DD 5.1 DVD)

I've been using multiple sources and formats:

Oppo 981 DVD playing DD 5.1 and DD EX material.
SD and HD programming with both 2 channel and Dolby Digital audio over my HD TiVo.

If you don't mind I'll post here again after I've logged more significant hours and report on my experience.

Cheers,
Post away, my friend. I'm sure readers will be smart enough to distinguish your posts from mine, so performance history should not get too confusing.

I do need to add something tonight though. The new firmware did NOT help with the cold start/no audio/unresponsive volume knob issue.

It did it again when I powered up tonight. I won't get into too many details as the configuration is exactly the same as usual. The CD I removed from the unit was Enya, Watermark, Reprise Recording. I made sure to stop it BEFORE playback began. It wasn't playing an audio stream, so it shouldn't have been a factor.... ("shouldn't")

From now on, I'm going to power the 970 on first, then the T533, and see if the situation reccurs.

Also, I may have found a programming error in the new firmware. (may have been in the old also, I only noticed it now though)

On playback of DD EX material, or DTS ES material, my 5.1 setup (speakers set to NONE for the surround back channels) locks on to the EX or ES signal, but does not drop back down to standard DD or DTS.

This means I am potentially losing sixth channel information during playback; that information is supposed to be matrixed back into the two surround channels.

I will contact Scott tomorrow morning and attempt to have him recreate this; it's very repeatable, despite whatever source DVD I use. (Finding Nemo, Cars, Pixar/Disney for DD-EX; Gladiator, Dreamworks Video for DTS-ES)

If any of you fancy a go at it, turn your surround back channels off in the menu by designating their speaker size as NONE, then playback any EX or ES encoded material, and tell me if the processor locks on, or downsteps automatically to DD/DTS respectively. Please also post which version of the firmware you have so that we know if older versions were matrixing properly.

E.